Do you belive in 21.12.2012?

The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Re: Do you belive in 21.12.2012?

Post by The Kakama »

No wait,if 10 was written in base 3,translated into base 10 it becomes 3.
Unless you're saying the gregorian calendar is written in base 3,which makes no sense.
Is this my final form?
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Do you guys have a Calendar on your Wall? Does it end on December 31? Does it mean the
World is going to end on that Day? No its not, it means you have to get a new Calandar for the New Year.

But there is a reason the Mayan Calendar ended: proably cause the Spanish Conquistador invaded their place and ransack their homes. Last I check, they didn't try to continue to add more to the Calendar.

But if the World ends, it ends.
If I die, I die.
Got noooooooo regrets.

If it happens, I'm ready to go.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
azareus
subbot maintenance

Post by azareus »

The Mayans had several different calendars for different purposes.
A normal calendar (356 days) for day-to-day use.
A religious calender (260 days) for holidays etc.
and so on...

The one everyone talks about is the Long Count calendar. It was used for specifying dates long before or after the Mayan civilisation. It had no end date, and several Mayan texts talk about dates way out in the future.
The reason people think the world will end at 21. December 2012 is that the previous world (the gods created 3 before ours, they had no humans) ended at the start of the 14th b'ak'tun. (the word for the fifth digit in the Long Count)
The world ending wasn't bad though, and the Mayans believed there would be another cycle afterwards. Like Vurn said, it would be a kind of super new year.

The Aztecs, however, did think the world was going to end in a bad way (fireballs, demons, etc.) Most people don't know the difference and just generalize between all of these cultures, causing the confusion.
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Post by Ancient Crystal »

I wouldn't be suprised if the world fell into anarchy because of superstitious people in key positions of the world took their lives to escape the apocalypse. The world is a strange place.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
Vurn
subnet traveller

Post by Vurn »

borys610 wrote:But still, we'd be dead. Human race won't be in this "new age" probably. So it is something highly resembling apocalipse.
The story says everytime the world is being destroyed, two people survive (a male and a female, duh).
Berty wrote:
But 21/12/2012 is a date in a Christian calendar system. Mayans didn't know who the heck Christ was, or that he even existed, or that they'd start counting time after he was born. They didn't choose that date to mess with people, it's just a pure coincidence.
It isn't like there is some huge calendar written out there that arbitrarily ends
Yes, I do know this. However, I am ignorant of the method used to convert the Mayan dates to the Christian calendar system, otherwise I would have substituted the (21/12/2012) for the Mayan equivalent date.
=P
But either way the 21/12/2012 is the end of the Mayan calender, whether you express the date in the Mayan format or not.
I was also being silly and a little bit facetious... I wasn't expecting such a ridiculously absurd topic to be taken so seriously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar#Long_Count
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon
TT: I guess one could use those words to describe it.
TT: If armed with a predilection for the inapt.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

Apparently, a hundred or so people were arrested in China for believing in this..

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/416216/20121218/mayan-calendar-2012-china-arrests-doomsday-rumours.htm

Also, that man who stabbed those children in China feared the "Doomsday." Really sad.
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

2 more days to go...
Is this my final form?
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Lol, in every End of World site I see countdown. And why they all show different time?
----
Well... That moment begins... Good bye, forum! I hope that we still will be here tomorrow...
Submachine rules!
*hides in Subnet*
Vurn
subnet traveller

Post by Vurn »

It's already the 21st in Australia and New Zealand, lol. And a bunch more Asian countries, too.
TT: I guess one could use those words to describe it.
TT: If armed with a predilection for the inapt.
Oleander
subnet technician

Post by Oleander »

They're not important, this is all obviously about America.
Your reign is ever growing
Spreading like a moss

across rock, under sky, over roots and the thorns
your reach is ever growing, spreading like a moss