Daymare Town Wiki

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: Daymare Town Wiki

Post by Vortex »

Yeah, I thought of several names and I think this one is the most appropriate.
borys610

Post by borys610 »

Last edited by borys610 on 01 May 2013 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

Please excuse my impatience, but where are we on forum adoption? (I'm just wondering)

Also, a few points on the character page:
1. Shouldn't the 10 gnomes be classified as secrets not characters?
2. According to the wiki there are also 10 gnomes DMT2 – can someone check that? I don't remember any gnomes in DMT2...
3. Should there be section for character's that only appear in Mateusz's sketches (i.e. Anémone)?

P.S. Apart from locations I'll also help out in making pages and adding content for the DMT spin-offs (i.e. Daymare Kite, Daymare Invaders, Garden Door)
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Borys, you need to fix your link. The h is not in the url.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

The Abacus wrote:Please excuse my impatience, but where are we on forum adoption? (I'm just wondering)

Also, a few points on the character page:
1. Shouldn't the 10 gnomes be classified as secrets not characters?
2. According to the wiki there are also 10 gnomes DMT2 – can someone check that? I don't remember any gnomes in DMT2...
3. Should there be section for character's that only appear in Mateusz's sketches (i.e. Anémone)?

P.S. Apart from locations I'll also help out in making pages and adding content for the DMT spin-offs (i.e. Daymare Kite, Daymare Invaders, Garden Door)
About the adoption, I checked and the requests are answered around a week after, so technically today or tomorrow we'll have to get it.

1), 2) and 3) I don't know XD
borys610

Post by borys610 »

1. Yeah, they should.
2. There is 0 gnomes in DMT2.
3. They should be on the wiki, but not listed as characters from DMT3, for God's mercy.
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

borys610 wrote:1. Yeah, they should.
2. There is 0 gnomes in DMT2.
3. They should be on the wiki, but not listed as characters from DMT3, for God's mercy.
I was thinking along those lines...
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
Lorre
lost in subnet

Post by Lorre »

It takes them a long time to get to adoption requests, so even though I put in my request a while ago, they won't get around to answering it until tomorrow (hopefully today, if we're lucky).

As for the characters, I pretty much left the character names that were already there, I just added more. I didn't know who Anemone was, so I just assumed that it was a common name for a character that I wasn't aware of, so I didn't delete it.

Yeah, character names are somewhat difficult. I'm trying to go with descriptive names for people with no other indicators (like "Ill Girl" for the girl sitting outside the hospital who talks to you about the mist), or logical names for people in locations (I'm assuming the guy in the "Park Janitor Room" is the Park Janitor, and the guy in the "Magician's House" is the Magician.)

Also, one thing I noticed is that gender can be pretty ambiguous in these games. For example, I always assumed the player was male, but then I saw some people referring to them as female. Same for the "prisoner" character. Sometimes it's just impossible to tell, like the "reaper" in DMT2 (the badly-written current wiki article for it - which I'll fix up later - refers to it as female). So unless Mateusz has posted something where he confirms everyone's gender, I'm thinking of putting a disclaimer on the wiki along the lines of "Since it can sometimes be difficult to discern a character's gender in the Daymare Town series, the pronouns used in some character articles should not be taken as canonical or official unless otherwise stated." Any thoughts? You can just use "them" for everyone, but it can get confusing sometimes.
borys610

Post by borys610 »

Gream Reaper is personification of death, and I think in English people refers to it as a female. While Polish "Mroczny Kosiarz" which is exactly the same and means exactly the same is male. In older Polish believes Death is woman though.
EDIT:
Another problematic name
this guy you gives trymbula's to in Garden Door. Can I call him "Creature with a tophat"?
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

You could just avoid the use of pronouns whenever possible and when it isn't avoidable, use the characters name. Impersonal they isn't strictly speaking correct and "his or her" sounds silly.

Anémone appears in one of the special drawings the author made. Her name obviously referencing a genus of plants. She is seen holding a flower, standing in the mist while a man is searching for her. "Anémone? Where art thou?", was what he said, I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemone

Death is usually though to be a male, although the one we've seen looks very much like a female in my opinion.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."