Books!

RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Re: Books!

Post by RoentgenDevice »

Why the fuck is Bukowski so popular... I tried to read "Ham on Rye" and really don't get it. I mean, he obviously had a totally terrible childhood/youth, but what's the point (except money) of writing books that are a succession of "Everything is shit" and "I hate everything and everyone" ? The clunky, unimmersive writing style (Bukowski-quote: "poetry is a warm beer shit") doesn't pay off of course lol

Seriously, it was like reading the diary passages that I wrote when I was 13/14 years old and went through my puberty-typical "shitty world" phase :mrgreen:
The net is vast and infinite
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Isn't "Ham on Rye" cursed?
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

Cursed? What do you mean by that? Indexed?
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

I searched it, hopefully its not your book, so don't worry.

This is what I'm was talking about: SCP-1082
🧐
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

I don't get it (again)... what has that creepypasta to do with ham on rye? :)
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

It has nothing to do with your book, it was my mistake. Just confused the titles nothing more. :P
🧐
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

It has nothing to do with your book, it was my mistake. Just confused the titles nothing more. :P
Ah, okay!

I would like to present you one of the kings among comic book creators- Jean Giraud AKA Moebius. Somewhere on Facebook, Mateusz pretty much stated he looks up to this one- and if you look at Moebius' drawings, they actually look a bit similiar to Subgod's.
What a Daymare!
What a Daymare!
Moebius ARZAC sketch.jpg (105.73 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
2-format43.jpg
2-format43.jpg (123.61 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Moebius draws psychedelic Science-Fiction-stories with deep meanings and a lot of suspense. I can totally recommend his works, especially his Saga The Incal.
Congratulations. You've reached the highest level of understanding possible to a one-dimensional mind!
Congratulations. You've reached the highest level of understanding possible to a one-dimensional mind!
telekinesis.jpg (109.21 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

I have to read a book named "Agnes" for german class and found a great passage that instantly made me think of Submachine themes. I will try to translate it for you.

[Background: The narrator has a rather cold love affair with a woman called Agnes (who studies physics). In this passage, he visits her appartment for the first time.]
Agnes told me she liked to live here and felt well in this quarter, even though it was not fancy and she did not know anyone there. When we where back in her appartment, she took a stack of tiny, opaque glass plates out of a cabinet.
"This is my work", she said.
At a first glance, the plates seemed to be cloudy in an irregular way, but when I looked closely, I noticed some minute dots in the gray fog which were placed in periodic distances to each other. On each plate, the dots formed different patterns.
"Those are roentgenograms of crystal lattices", said Agnes. "The actual structure of atoms. In its depth, everything is symmetry."
I gave her the plates back. She went to the window and held them against the light, one after another.
"The mystery lies in the void in the center", she said, "what we are not able to percieve are the symmetry axes."
"But what has that to do with us?", I asked. "With your own life and me and you? We are asymmetric." "Asymmetries have a reason", said Agnes, "The asymmetry is what makes life possible. The difference between the genders. The fact that time only goes in one direction. Asymmetries have a reason and a direct impact."
I never heard Agnes speaking with such an enthusiasm before. I embraced her. She upheld the diapositives protectingly and said: "careful, they're fragile."
Despite her warning, I carried her to the bed. She got up again to bring the plates to safety and then came back, got undressed and lay down next to me. We made love and it became dark outside. I stayed with her for the rest of the night.
In the morning, I was waked by knock noises from the radiator. I sat up and noticed Agnes being awake.
"Someone makes knocking signals", I said.
"That's a steam heating, not an air conditioner like in your appartment. The pipes expand because of the heat and make those sounds."
"Doesn't that annoy you? I could not sleep with this noise."
"No, quite the contrary", said Agnes. "It makes me feel less lonely when I wake up."
The whole symmetry/ asymmetry talk reminds me so much of an interpretation that someone here wrote. It linked the structure of the games -like, the map of Sub9 which represents a temple/ pyramid- to their content (Didn't WiQ write this? not sure though).
If this extract was a note, you could find it in the basement, i think, because of the heating pipes that were actually the only thing that made us feel like being in a "basement" during the first installment. The weird thing is, they made us/ me actually feel more lonely, because the presence of familiar objects accented the absence of living beings and made it look stranger. Imagine the player would spawn in the loop. It would be rather a surprise if someone showed up there.
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Beautiful.
Its been so long since I last cried actual tears from reading a book.
A Good Ending
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Boingo
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Boingo »

I know they're graphic novels, but has anyone else read the Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi?