Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Babylon
subnet notes finder

Re: Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Post by Babylon »

Like I said, I'd be willing to contribute?
I'm not a latin popstar.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

fail, I don't know what to do as well. XD

Should I make random rooms sketch-plan?

page one hundred
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

well, at this point i think we just need to start creating content, i mean, start writing descriptions of the beginning plot and the initial rooms, etc. I think that if we want to advance, that is what we need to do now. We can skip the puzzles part if it's too much work, but we really need something to base sketches/drawings on.
ThunderDasher
subnet notes finder

Post by ThunderDasher »

100 pages of discussion on a project that has barely startetd yet lol

Plot and room distribution should be the two first things to do. we can fit in puzzles and rearrange the rooms later, as long as we have a clear storyline defined for it and the room layout complete so we can mess around with it freely.
"...But I shall forgive you. There are some things in life that cannot be achieved." ~Wise man
NOT CHANGING THIS SIG UNTIL SUBMACHINE: THE FARM COMES OUT, which is never :/
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I'll bump this thread as a reminder that this is still open, someone needs to start thinking about content. Every little bit helps, so if you think you can help with something don't get discouraged!
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Ok...

things are changing...
but project is still frozen...

I send a small message to our Project leader

waiting for respond
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Our conversation:
Sublevel wrote:we are still stuck on PCG...
but I'm thinking... we did run into the pit from the start. We tried to make something great, thing that is higher than our current level of organization and knowledge. XD

what if (when we have more free time) make project that in 100 times easier than big escape game?

And now, when times are changing... you know, old stuff is dying.
even Mateusz moves from his nest, walking into the unknown...

what small-small game project can we made? what do you think?
Vortex wrote:yeah, I think the same. We lack the skills to make a full game so the initial enthusiasm was bound to die in the end.

and well, i don't have any ideas for new games/projects at the moment, but we can ask the forum what do they think
IceGear55
lost in subnet

Post by IceGear55 »

What about a Minecraft map?
Minecraft is complicated to learn, but it's a simple format to build in. I could start on it in a few days.
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Post by Ancient Crystal »

Oh dear, not again...

As far as I can tell, the reason nothing ever became of this is the complete absence of practical resources. It got way past the stage where, in any project, someone needs to sit down and actually make stuff. Everyone, including me, sat around and speculated for several years, and nothing happened. If the skill to make a mod was even on the table, it would be much more practical to simply make a game. I mean, it's not like there were critical gaps in other resources- we had alright organization, an abundance of useful concepts and ideas, and no shortage in the art department either.

I do feel I could have done more. The skills to make something like this were always something I could learn, at this point, I would even say I have even done so. Beyond that, looking back, there were several avenues for actual work that went unexploited- flowcharts, meticulous diagrams of gameplay and progression, hell, just 2d maps of rooms and locations would have been doing a great deal of work.

In light of this, three programming languages and two years of game-focused digital design and organization courses later, I have considered making some efforts. Still, it's been almost exactly a year since someone else expressed any concern for this, and the idea of letting it lie has a certain comfort to it.

Sorry, I went a bit off topic here, but I don't think I expressed my thoughts on this very extensively before. At the very least, I've said it now, so that's something.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
IceGear55
lost in subnet

Post by IceGear55 »

Ancient Crystal wrote:it's been almost exactly a year since someone else expressed any concern for this, and the idea of letting it lie has a certain comfort to it.
Does this statement indicate you would be uncomfortable with someone creating a fan game?

I edited my comment because I agree that the skills to make a mod are off the table. A programmer I am not, but a builder I am. I've been on Minecraft since the beta got pistons, and I've used command blocks before. I can make a map that works, that feels like Submachine without neglecting 3D. I just need permission.