Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Post by Vortex »

Old discussion thread link http://www.pastelportal.com/bbpress/topic.php?id=3680

This is the place to discuss about the point and click game project of the PastelForum community. Anyone is able to participate on this project, contributing however you wish: design/drawing, music/ambiences, story, ideas for the game, management, beta-testing, even translations or advertising.

For the time being, the game project has no title set, but we can refer to the game as PCG until we find a better temporary project name.

Useful link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zLG ... dfS_9QCaY8

(it needs updating with the new images and info). If you scroll to the bottom you can see the current list of users who have agreed to help in this project (the list is not closed, anyone is still able to participate if/when they want. Also, some of the members aren't in the new forum yet or may have another username here).
Last edited by Vortex on 17 Jun 2013 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
dVanDaHorns
subbot maintenance

Re: Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Post by dVanDaHorns »

This is still going on? I'm impressed!

I won't be able to post this anytime soon, but one of my various side projects is the design of a (hopefully-eventually-open source) as3 point and click engine akin to Submachine's. If you guys are able to cover all the rest, I may be able to do at least part of the coding while I'm on my work terms these next few years (namely, this winter, and both fall and winter terms next year).

As well as some ambiances. Possibly.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Wow, that would be awesome! :D
dVanDaHorns
subbot maintenance

Post by dVanDaHorns »

Who all was still interested before the close of the old forum, and what were they interested in contributing?
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Well, there is a list in the document linked above. I'll copy it here anyways:

Nickname Contributions (* = possible/not yet)
Azareus Coding
TheVoid Programming
Sublevel 101 Story, puzzle ideas, sketches
Mr. Officer Story
Vortex Design, plot & puzzle ideas, PROJECT LEADER (very funny guys XD)
sundayfever Design (hand-drawn)
.oilage Music/ambiances*
RuloCore Music/ambiances*
-ak- Plot, art & gameplay critic
Postillionen General contributions*
Theta_Wave Languages & general contrb.*
Anteroinen General contributions*
jomarcenter Story & advertising*
Diamonds Plot & puzzle ideas*
gil2455526 Beta-testing*
TheBabylonProject Design and/or plot*

EDIT: but mostly, the development of the programming aspect is dead, and for the ambients, Lucas (oilage) has made some samples, but nothing definitive yet. So feel free to contribute as you wish! :)
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

My contributions have been rather slim, but above all I'm interested in translating the thing into Finnish XD
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I will add the current menu images here for convenience:
(the chosen version for the achievements is version... wait, did we decide which version we chose in the end?)
(also, remember that the logo is not anywhere near definitive since we don't even have a name for the game, and that there is potential support for nearly all languages of the world ;) )
Also, we should rescue another useful things like Lucas' loop and babylon's drawings too, not?
dVanDaHorns
subbot maintenance

Post by dVanDaHorns »

A few things:
1. That's definitely a start! Did anyone draw them by chance in Flash, or using some other sort of vector drawing program?
2. Oranges Minigame: Please identify. I may or may not be able to code that. xD
3. Multiple characters? Will this involve animation? And if so, do you have a capable flash animator? (Don't look here, I rather suck at flash animations. xD)
3.5: About the multiple characters and character changing: how does that work, exactly? Why near a vent? (Was it a programming limitation?)
4. Permission to add my own achievements into the final game when it's all said and done? :P
5. Just so you are aware, the menu is probably one of the last aspects of the overall engine (if it's even considered that :P) that I impliment. I get really tired really fast of clicking the "play" button. xD

EDIT:
6. Wait. The style is similar to Submachine, correct? (If not, that's alright, just I need to know what sort of movement engine to develop. :P)
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

dVanDaHorns wrote:A few things:
1. That's definitely a start! Did anyone draw them by chance in Flash, or using some other sort of vector drawing program?
2. Oranges Minigame: Please identify. I may or may not be able to code that. xD
3. Multiple characters? Will this involve animation? And if so, do you have a capable flash animator? (Don't look here, I rather suck at flash animations. xD)
3.5: About the multiple characters and character changing: how does that work, exactly? Why near a vent? (Was it a programming limitation?)
4. Permission to add my own achievements into the final game when it's all said and done? :P
5. Just so you are aware, the menu is probably one of the last aspects of the overall engine (if it's even considered that :P) that I impliment. I get really tired really fast of clicking the "play" button. xD

EDIT:
6. Wait. The style is similar to Submachine, correct? (If not, that's alright, just I need to know what sort of movement engine to develop. :P)
1. Yeah, I made them in vector :) (I'm good at everything, what can I say, mwaheheh). The trailer image too (it's in the doc).
2. Oranges are a running joke inside PCG, it's a long story XD the minigame itself isn't decided, in fact I doubt it will ever be in any actual version, lol.
3. Well, it's explained in the doc, it's a multiple player feature but controlling only one character at a time. The characters are
"enclosed" inside a facility, there is always some wall between both protagonists, and they can communicate through vents (this multiplayer arised from having two different storywriters with a story with surprisingly coincided in many points).
4. Of course! One of the things we need the most are ideas :D
5. Lol, I know XD but I did it just so that we could see how it would probably look.

6. Well, it isn't very much like submachine, but rather like an usual pnc game, with instant transitions. We planned at first to do the submachine transitions between adjacent rooms, with two extra zooming transitions for going back-to-front and viceversa, along with all the needed rotations. But that would be difficult to implement so...

EDIT: anyways, the PCG, aside from beng a serious game project, was also conceived so that all of us learn something about the different parts of making a game, with team work and all that. The philosophy was that anyone can contribute, sort of like in Wikipedia, but with specialized jobs :B so you can work in whatever aspect you want, or in multiple fields, or even change things you don't like. Just saying so you don't feel forced to do something in a special way, you can use any methods you feel comfortable with :)
dVanDaHorns
subbot maintenance

Post by dVanDaHorns »

OnyxIonVortex wrote: 1. Yeah, I made them in vector :) (I'm good at everything, what can I say, mwaheheh). The trailer image too (it's in the doc).
Hehe, indeed! ^_^ Too bad the doc isn't working for me...:/ I would love to delve into all you guys had done so far!
2. Oranges are a running joke inside PCG, it's a long story XD the minigame itself isn't decided, in fact I doubt it will ever be in any actual version, lol.
xD Alright. It should at least make an achievement though!
3. Well, it's explained in the doc, it's a multiple player feature but controlling only one character at a time. The characters are
"enclosed" inside a facility, there is always some wall between both protagonists, and they can communicate through vents (this multiplayer arised from having two different storywriters with a story with surprisingly coincided in many points).
Cool! I like how that sounds! That would definitely be a cool touch to add that would make this game stand out.
4. Of course! One of the things we need the most are ideas :D
>: D Thanks!
5. Lol, I know XD but I did it just so that we could see how it would probably look.
Sounds good. The menu is usually what most people assume is the first thing implimented, although it's not...so just making sure! :P

Well, it isn't very much like submachine, but rather like an usual pnc game, with instant transitions. We planned at first to do the submachine transitions between adjacent rooms, with two extra zooming transitions for going back-to-front and viceversa, along with all the needed rotations. But that would be difficult to implement so...

EDIT: anyways, the PCG, aside from beng a serious game project, was also conceived so that all of us learn something about the different parts of making a game, with team work and all that. The philosophy was that anyone can contribute, sort of like in Wikipedia, but with specialized jobs :B so you can work in whatever aspect you want, or in multiple fields, or even change things you don't like. Just saying so you don't feel forced to do something in a special way, you can use any methods you feel comfortable with :)
Well, if that's the case, mind if I return to the submachine style? :P (It is actually a lot easier for me, since that engine is about 75% finished at the moment...including z-axis transitions and rotations. :P)