The Math Thread

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: The Math Thread

Post by Vortex »

dVanDaHorns wrote:
OnyxIonVortex wrote:What do you mean by levels of math? Is it anything country-based?
Anyways, since I'm interested in these topics I looked most of it by myself, rather than following the courses. My maths teacher when I was in high school told me that I knew things from the equivalent to 4th year of mathematics degree, so either I'm some sort of genius or Spanish education is crap XD
Ah. I wasn't really meaning country-based, given that there are people from all over the world here. More like, what are you guys currently studying, math-wise?

Actually, scrap that. I have no clue how accurately describe that. xD
Hmm. I guess I'll leave it up to someone else to find another math topic...
In uni we are studying how to do antiderivatives of simple functions (of the kind "substitute tan(u/2)")
Apart from that, on my own I'm studying category theory, and well, mathematical modelizations of quantum chromodynamics (lattice theories, etc.) it still counts as maths, not?

EDIT: Im talking like a nerd DX
Last edited by Vortex on 10 Dec 2012 22:15, edited 2 times in total.
dVanDaHorns
subbot maintenance

Post by dVanDaHorns »

Ah. So essentially, you are far beyond the levels of your class at the moment? (I assume it's not just the Spanish education system, but that you are indeed ahead of your class. xD)

In my most recent (and finished) math-based course, I was studying numerical and analytical solutions to differentials, Laplace transforms, and Fourrier Series. Pretty much still somewhat-basic calculus principles, although using them to analyze the behaviour of nanoparticles has been relatively fun. Oh, and a bunch of vector calculus.
EDIT: Im talking like a nerd DX
Welcome to my life. xD Sometimes, I spend up to 10 minutes trying to make a post more 'readable' for those still in high school, etc.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

I'm currently taking A-Mathematics in Upper Secondary School of Paimio and intend to matriculate on the subject. That, I believe, is roughly equivalent to high school.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
dVanDaHorns
subbot maintenance

Post by dVanDaHorns »

Anteroinen wrote:I'm currently taking A-Mathematics in Upper Secondary School of Paimio and intend to matriculate on the subject. That, I believe, is roughly equivalent to high school.
High school is essentially short form for secondary school. So yes. :P Cool!
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

dVanDaHorns wrote:Ah. So essentially, you are far beyond the levels of your class at the moment? (I assume it's not just the Spanish education system, but that you are indeed ahead of your class. xD)

In my most recent (and finished) math-based course, I was studying numerical and analytical solutions to differentials, Laplace transforms, and Fourrier Series. Pretty much still somewhat-basic calculus principles, although using them to analyze the behaviour of nanoparticles has been relatively fun. Oh, and a bunch of vector calculus.
Yeah, but only in some topics of my interest. In some other areas my knowledge is near to null, heheh. i was just kidding about the education system, it's not perfect of course, but it's good as it is :P

And transforms... I like that topic. Fourier transforms are used a lot in quantum mechanics, too.
I'm currently taking A-Mathematics in Upper Secondary School of Paimio and intend to matriculate on the subject. That, I believe, is roughly equivalent to high school.
So you wanna be a mathematician, then? :)
dVanDaHorns
subbot maintenance

Post by dVanDaHorns »

OnyxIonVortex wrote: Yeah, but only in some topics of my interest. In some other areas my knowledge is near to null, heheh. i was just kidding about the education system, it's not perfect of course, but it's good as it is :P

And transforms... I like that topic. Fourier transforms are used a lot in quantum mechanics, too.
Transforms are amazing, once you learn how to effectively use them. I'm not so fond of Fourier's work, but that's essentially because that was what a third of my recent ragetastic Calculus exam was on. Even though the concept is fairly easy to grasp. :P
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

OnyxIonVortex wrote:
So you wanna be a mathematician, then? :)
I kind of want to, although I am not yet sure what I want to be. I've many many time contemplated becoming a teacher of either mathematics of languages because of my unending enthusiasm to share my knowledge; however, I often wonder if I am to be crushed by uninterested students. Another point in that is that I love to learn more and were I to go on to be an actual researcher of math or any subject I could fulfill that graving.

This still means it is a bit hard to choose, after all my interests are many. Luckily Finnish Upper Secondary aims to create a wide but deep enough understanding of everything, rather than focus on a single one so all paths are still open. I intend to also matriculate in Spanish, Swedish, Finnish, Chemistry and Physics this year.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I see... :)

If I were to choose another career, I'd probably be a linguist or an architect. Or maybe a mathematician too, or a programmer... there are so many choices, lol.

Also, you better learn a lot of Spanish, que te puedo poner a prueba en cualquier momento ;P
Oleander
subnet technician

Post by Oleander »

As for my level of math, in school I'm taking AP Calculus and we're just now finishing our first semester, so we've done elementary derivatives and integrals. No transforms or anything.

However, I myself learned that material a while back. My independent math study is a bit scattered, but I've been studying special functions like the Gamma function and Dirichlet [greek letter] functions as well. I'm really curious if a closed form can even be calculated for most basic fractional arguments of the gamma function (like 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 2/5,etc.), since only 1/2+n is known.
Your reign is ever growing
Spreading like a moss

across rock, under sky, over roots and the thorns
your reach is ever growing, spreading like a moss
dVanDaHorns
subbot maintenance

Post by dVanDaHorns »

Taalit wrote:As for my level of math, in school I'm taking AP Calculus and we're just now finishing our first semester, so we've done elementary derivatives and integrals. No transforms or anything.

However, I myself learned that material a while back. My independent math study is a bit scattered, but I've been studying special functions like the Gamma function and Dirichlet [greek letter] functions as well. I'm really curious if a closed form can even be calculated for most basic fractional arguments of the gamma function (like 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 2/5,etc.), since only 1/2+n is known.
You ain't going to learn transforms in AP Calculus. That's more of a university Calculus concept. :P
(I believe AP Calculus covers up to advanced differentiation and integration techniques, which is then reviewed in most first year calculus courses before delving into new material. Such as transforms. :P)

As well, i'm not too sure what you are asking concerning the gamma function...if it's dealing with finding values for which the delta function will give you those fractions, it is definitely possible to do so using a numeric approach (i.e. using Matlab or MAPLE).
If you are inferring to expressing fractions as an infinite series of gamma functions, then I have no idea. It is probably possible, since any discontinuous function can be represented by a series of Heaviside functions, but once again, most likely a numeric approach using computers would be better.