Paranormal Thread (things we probably can't explain...)

Do you believe in ghosts?

YES
37%
Submachine rules! (that means NO)
63%

Total votes: 19
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Re: Paranormal Thread (things we probably can't explain...)

Post by The Kakama »

I think the problem with ghosts and such is that it's jumping to conclusions too quickly or using the argument from ignorance.
Also, Occam's razor. :P (a natural explanation is simpler than a supernatural one)
Is this my final form?
Anonymous2
subnet notes finder

Post by Anonymous2 »

The Kakama wrote:I think the problem with ghosts and such is that it's jumping to conclusions too quickly or using the argument from ignorance.
Also, Occam's razor. :P (a natural explanation is simpler than a supernatural one)
Yes and then you also have people who want to believe in ghosts. There was a study done, where people who expected something to happen, like a ghost encounter, had a higher chance of having such an encounter, usually brought on by Pareidolia.

But usually our instinct for things we cannot explain is to jump to the most available and easiest solution: Ghosts. But then you have people like myself who will investigate the cause of said disturbance and usually walk away with a natural explanation. Like a little while ago, I had my blinds down, and they started moving towards me, well the window was open and the wind picked up due to an incoming storm. Easily solved!

However... what if the blinds did that with the window closed? Yeah... that might be a bit more harder to explain.

I haven't updated that journal in a while, I really need to since a few more experiences have happened... non ghost related though. Did see a creature the other night.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

First poll. :D

I'm pure atheist, so... no.
Paranormal
subnet technician

Post by Paranormal »

Sublevel, you don't have to be religious to believe in the paranormal! I have no idea why people associate it with religion, there's plenty of non-believers who believe in the world beyond the living.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." ~ Charles Spurgeon
Want to add me on Discord? Send me a PM!
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

no no

when i said I'm pure atheist, I meant I am unbeliever:
There's no God, Ghosts, Holy Cups and Cursed Fires and other stuff

:D
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

Same. :P
But you believe in subgods. XD
Is this my final form?
Anonymous2
subnet notes finder

Post by Anonymous2 »

That isn't Atheism, its Nihilism.

Atheism is where you reject any belief in a higher power. Nihilism is where you reject any belief in things like Ghosts, Reincarnation, Afterlife, etc. There are borderline and then extremist. I've met a few extremist's in my life. They are creepy as fuck. Just empty flesh bags wandering around looking for "meaning" for their existence, when in esscense there is no meaning for their existence. In their belief, there is no belief, there is no meaning, there is nothing. We are simply just a genetic mutation, we simply should not exist, because the world is too complex for us, or some other bullshit like that.

I think there is a lot about this world we don't know of. Every now and then scientists discover a new energy, or new element, or new whatever. We're full of energy. Energy cannot be created, nor destroyed which is one of the basic laws of Energy Conservation.

When we die, where does this energy go? Who's to say that somewhere in this energy that is inside of us, that a soul, or memories cannot be passed on? Couldn't it be possible that if another living creature eats our energy, that our memories or parts of our "soul" is passed on to them?

Yeah a lot to think about lol.

Here is another type of paranormal that I agree with

http://kheperu.org/energy-imprints-and-constructs/

I think ordinary objects could resonate with our energy, which allows memories, emotions, etc to be "imprinted" onto them. Its why some people have experiences with certain items.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Sublevel 104 wrote:no no

when i said I'm pure atheist, I meant I am unbeliever:
There's no God, Ghosts, Holy Cups and Cursed Fires and other stuff

:D
wouldn't that be skeptic in general?
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Atheism, Nihilism, they're both 2 forms of skeptisism.

I'm actually not sure if believing in ghosts or not. While clues about their existence look apealing, I still have to figure out what is their niche in the whole Universe. I prefer to think ghost, neither as matter, nor energy, but as pieces of "information".

Information is product of a system of harmony between both matter and energy. Its a system of nodes and mediums.

I like to think it like this. If you want to compute something, can you do it with a computer without energy? Can you do it with energy without a computer? You need both!

SOUL IS NOT MATTER
SOUL IS NOT ENERGY
SOUL IS THE HARMONIZING OF BOTH
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

When we die, where does this energy go? Who's to say that somewhere in this energy that is inside of us, that a soul, or memories cannot be passed on? Couldn't it be possible that if another living creature eats our energy, that our memories or parts of our "soul" is passed on to them?
I think you mistake energy for information, both are different things.

I find things like souls and such to be largely useless or redundant, since we can explain things like feelings and memories as biochemical processes. I think mostly such beliefs like imprinting are the result of sentiment and don't actually mean anything. They can't be measured or have no physical value or are even proven to exist outside of your mind.(That's just my opinion though :roll: )
I'm actually not sure if believing in ghosts or not. While clues about their existence look apealling, I still have to figure out what is their niche in the whole Universe. I prefer to think ghost, neither as matter, nor energy, but as pieces of "information".

Information is product of a system of harmony between both matter and energy. Its a system of nodes and mediums.
One problem with ghosts where is the "matter" part of the information, and what kind of energy do ghosts require to exist?

But I don't think that just because such things don't exist doesn't mean there is no such thing as meaning to life. Like this post, life is what you make of it, meaning is something you project on things to make sense of them. Even if is subjective it's still there, an ever present reflection of yourself as well as your window into the universe.
Like art. :mrgreen:
Is this my final form?