Community Project May 2019

Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Community Project May 2019

Post by Augustus »

Because of the request of madboy I'll make a separate thread, way more logical.
Alright, so I have an idea in my head when it comes to a think the community project could be, feel free to give some feedback and some ideas of your own;
Idea 1: Fan art competition.
So, the first idea I have is to do another of the 2017 fan art competitions, the possibility for 3 submissions with a theme of a game.
But I the idea for no theme, just Mateusz Skutnik and old Pastel Games related and free of choice with a more liberal approach to making art is something I would also like to propose as an option.
As far as a price goes I am totally willing to put some of my Euro's in to make a small price, it shouldn't be something big, but the idea is always very neat.
Idea 2: Making some art together.
So this is the most open minded idea I have, it could be making a wallpaper together as a community, or to divide a portrait of a character in the Mateusz Skutnik or Pastel Games on the golden cut and to give everyone a piece and encourage them to make it in different styles. But if there aren't that many people we could give everyone more pieces than one divided on the golden cut.
Idea 3: Doing an actual big project.
So this is a bit inspired on the Skype call chat Jatsko made to work and just call, at least that is what I remember of it.
So the goal to make a bigger project, working on something in a separate discord chat.
It could be focused on making some kind of comic or story or whatever of where an old Pastel Games game left off.
I do not want to type much about this because doing a big project does need some input of people willing to do so and it would really want some input. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And if people would be down for a discord for a project, I would like to render one but that really would remove the forum aspect wouldn't? Could be solved with doing a development diary sort of thing but I have written WAY to much already.
Edit: For now if someone feels something for it a brainstorm discord: https://discord.gg/HnqnW6d
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Re: Community Project May 2019

Post by Augustus »

So, I talked a bit with Reed and mads on the discord chat, and the conclusion pretty much is to do another fanart competition like the good old days. I think it will be in June... Not May.
So I think I will make a new topic when I have the banner ect ready like in I believe January 2017 if I am correct.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

What's the theme for the competition? Just assorted Pastel stuff?

(Also what's this about a price to pay? :/)
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

I am afraid I don't understand the last sentence of what you are saying.
Everytime a competition is held there is a small price for the artwork that was voted to be considered the best.
I have no problem paying for someone who made the best artwork to get a HD game or something.

I would like to have a bit of a liberal approach when it comes to themes, I think it would encourage more creativity and less need to get people motivated.
Empoeria
the Architect's apprentice

Post by Empoeria »

*prize

also I don't think we necessarily need to fund any grand prize for anyone. you proposed a community project, which doesn't have to be a competition.
personally I just want to get some life back in here and have a thing everyone can contribute to.
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

Thanks for the correction... That one was pretty crucial :D

If people feel okay with no prize than that is fine.
reed
subnet technician

Post by reed »

UPDATE: after a discussion on the Discord server linked above, Ko9 and I decided that the project won't be a competition, no voting or prizes involved. More like a Pastel Games art challenge. There's no set theme.
A brief version of the rules:
1) The theme must be related to works by Mateusz Skutnik and/or the artists who made the old flash Pastel Games. The comics by Mateusz Skutnik are allowed but for the other former Pastel Games artists only their games count.
2) What you need to do is to recall some of the strongest emotions or memories related to Pastel Games and create an artwork based on that, using the subject matter and/or style of Pastel Games.
3) It can be any type of creative work (visual art, digital art, music, fanfiction, videos, photographs, sculptures, or even a game).
4) After the submission period there will be a thread for feedback (optional).
Please feel free to post any thoughts you might have concerning the project. We want to make something everyone can enjoy. There's still at least a couple of weeks to reconsider things.
no, you're not getting out of here. no way.

operatorsandthings.tumblr.com
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

I am wondering why it's being discussed away from the forum.

Otherwise I like the guidelines. It's pretty meaningful to have something centered around our emotional attachment to the games.
reed
subnet technician

Post by reed »

I can't speak for the both of us, but so far the discussion has taken quite a lot of time and effort. If it were happening here it'd have taken thrice that, just because it is a forum and not instant messaging. Honestly, I don't have that kind of time. I thought speeding things up a bit was a good idea, now we've got at least something. And even that has taken two weeks to cook up.
However, I am happy to continue here from now on, and everyone is welcome to propose changes or an entirely different idea for the project.
no, you're not getting out of here. no way.

operatorsandthings.tumblr.com
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

reed wrote: However, I am happy to continue here from now on, and everyone is welcome to propose changes or an entirely different idea for the project.
In general if someone has any problems or ideas their input is welcome. *shrughs*