Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Re: Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Post by Ancient Crystal »

My impression has always been that of a first-person game, yes.

Wait... front view? This may be a severe misunderstanding. Above is the top view, looking down at the veritcal pods, and the horizontal walkway between them, which they're facing towards. Below is the side view, showing the pods' backsides, the arms that support them, the walkway and the refrigerating liquid it's all suspended above. In both of views, the door is to left. I imagine it as something in between an office door and a vault door, in terms of sturdiness and frame.

Finally, yes, the game screen. The game does, after all, begin just as we've downloaded ourselves into the brain of an unfortunate test subject.

Also, you are of course welcome to draw it all as well as stitch it together in GM, but doesn't that mean you made all of it? If we're looking to test our capability as a group, I think there's very much a point to diving responsibility on this one.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Oh, the pods are suspended? then yeah, I was imagining it wrong.
Also, you are of course welcome to draw it all as well as stitch it together in GM, but doesn't that mean you made all of it? If we're looking to test our capability as a group, I think there's very much a point to diving responsibility on this one.
My intention is to do it and then put everything (gamemaker file, svg if you want) so you guys will be able to criticise and modify it.

From the experience I've had with the project, at this point I think it will be more effective if someone just sits down and makes something playable to kickstart the progress than if we start talking and get lost in the details. Planning is good, but too much planning has led us into the situation in the milkmaid's tale: we have the perfect game in our heads and a disaster on our hands.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

we have the perfect game in our heads and a disaster on our hands.
oh lol so true
XD

----

I almost forgot we have absolutely different plot and mechanics now. No Prison Cell PG-17, no X sample, no saboteur, no Above Heaven facility... And no puzzles I created at first stages.
Or it is here but in different view? Need to rererad new plot versions.
Is there link to place where I can find it? Because I still have link to that Google Documents page, but that information is kind of old as I remember.

---

I would like first-person view.

---

Ok, what can I do? Puzzles and plot ideas are still with me. Plus, this time I think I can use Game Maker as well. If you need my help, I think I will find a time for this.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Here is the plot summary that Ancient Crystal made:

http://www.pastelland.com/forum/viewtop ... 890#p55199

we also talked later about the facility's design and how to take into account warped space, you can read it to refresh your memory :)
Ok, what can I do? Puzzles and plot ideas are still with me. Plus, this time I think I can use Game Maker as well. If you need my help, I think I will find a time for this.
Perfect!
I think it will be good if we put the Gamemaker file in a sharing-docs webpage so anyone is able to modify/add things to it at any time.
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Who not doing it like Mateusz does his games?

Make a working sample to have a working engine or at least a grasp of what could be made (Think Sub8 Teaser).
Mindstream and finalize describing the game's plot.
Draw Locations.
Create Puzzles.
Add sound and music.
Beta-Testing.
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Post by Ancient Crystal »

That's one approach, but I'm not sure it's practical for a group with specialized members. If you have one writer, one artist and a puzzle-maker, you only have one person working at once, and doing them strictly in order prevents any feedback between the elements. The details on the plot will depend heavily on the puzzles we can invent, and so will the perspectives that need to be drawn.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

ДАААААААААА BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP!

hmm...
again, it has been a long time since last post here.

What am I thinking about future of "Pastel Oranges Games" company. :mrgreen: (though Vortex is still our boss!)
I think, this big point'n'click adventure quest game is too... big for first project of group of people.
Maybe, before we start normal developnment of this game, maybe we should create something very simple? Something small, but still, cute and interesting?

Well, do you remember what Mateusz came with before big holy submachines and Daymare town?
Well, There was set of Squirrel Family games. Some of them were single screen platformer, just with cool background and a few game elements and objects.

What I try to say: maybe we will try (much harder this time) to make something small like this?

If someone is interested: what do you think?