BEAST (forum story) - Chapter 1

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: BEAST (forum story) - Chapter 1

Post by Vortex »

if there's water drain, why it's blockaded with metallic plate? Where should water go? I think there must be something and you can break sheet with this bar, but...
is it smart to make so loud noise when shadows are around?..
Ian and Luke examine the water drain again.

They agree that it wouldn't be smart to make a loud sound. Instead, Ian knocks on the sheet: strangely, it doesn't sound like there's any hole under it! Does that mean the sheet is merely lying atop a flat surface? If so, the bar wouldn't have been able to break it anyways.

There's definitely something suspicious about the drain... they should find some way to lift that plate.
Does the bar fit in the hatch's keyhole?
No, unfortunately the keyhole is far too small for the bar to fit. Besides, Luke has already determined that they probably won't be able to open that lock without the key.
This might be looking too much into the wording, but do the shadows really call themselves Shadows? As in, did they really give this name to themselves and let humans know this? Does Luke have some sort of hidden past encounter with Shadows to learn this information?
<good catch!>

<yes, shadows call themselves shadows. Luke knows because Ian has told Luke what Elisa's doppelgänger told him (remember her words in the prologue: "you can't kill a shadow with just light"). But, if you continue along that line of thought, you may get close to figuring out some weird things in the events that happened in the prologue, and the "mismatch" in Luke's story... can't say more XD>

<really glad you're going to play btw :D >
zombieshooter
lost in subnet

Post by zombieshooter »

For some reason the "anomaly in the system" analogy sounds weird to me. Maybe there's something there.

Now for the commands. Maybe they can build an electric magnet to pull the plate up? Bring the box to this room and try to reach the loose wire, with the metal bar if necessary (I'm assuming they won't get electrocuted, I hope I'm right).
Long ago, in the distant future...
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Command: Move the plate with the pole, lifting it on a side.
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
zombieshooter
lost in subnet

Post by zombieshooter »

^Or do that. :P
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

ut, if you continue along that line of thought, you may get close to figuring out some weird things in the events that happened in the prologue, and the "mismatch" in Luke's story.
what?
I don't understand...

-------

to lift the plate?
hmm... Is there gap between plate and hatch wall?
command: check it. And tell, please, on what distance from you metal plate is located, and how wide hatch is.
also: examine metal bar. Maybe it has flat end? Or any other suspicious thing.

(there's still my second VERY uncertain idea what to do. but I keep it for next time)

Edit:

TRIPPLE NINJAD!!!!!!!!!
:O
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Sublevel 105 wrote:hmm... Is there gap between plate and hatch wall?
command: check it. And tell, please, on what distance from you metal plate is located, and how wide hatch is.
Hmm... Ok... :geek:

There. Satisfied? :P
Sublevel 105 wrote:examine metal bar. Maybe it has flat end? Or any other suspicious thing.
The bar has cylindrical ends, and as far as they can see there is nothing unusual about it.
ENIHCAMBUS wrote:Command: Move the plate with the pole, lifting it on a side.
Impossible; the plate fits perfectly in the hole and there's no way to insert the bar in the border.
zombieshooter wrote:Maybe they can build an electric magnet to pull the plate up? Bring the box to this room and try to reach the loose wire, with the metal bar if necessary (I'm assuming they won't get electrocuted, I hope I'm right).
Good idea! If the sheet is made of ferromagnetic material, an electromagnet could lift it enough to stick something behind and remove it. It's worth a try.

Luke moves the trunk to the main room and steps on it with the metal bar.

Trying not to make much noise, he yanks the loose cable at the ceiling with the bar. The cable falls down enough that he can catch it with his hand and take a big chunk of it.

Good! Now they just need a power source, and something metallic to roll the cable around. Let's hope it will work.

Meanwhile, Ian is sitting besides the drain, thinking. If the shadows haven't taken any action against them yet, it must be because they know there's no water of food here, and they will be eventually forced to get out of there or die of dehydration. If they find a way to exit through the hidden hatch, they should be careful not to alert the shadows outside, or things could get very ugly.
zombieshooter wrote:For some reason the "anomaly in the system" analogy sounds weird to me. Maybe there's something there.
Sublevel 105 wrote:what?
I don't understand...
<you can theorize/ask about it in the discussion thread :) >
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

and yeah, my second idea was to get that wire. But only because "hey! Vortex just couldn't draw hanging wire! There must be something!!!"
Command was like: "We need to check if box is strong enough to carry our weight, and if it is - move the box, stand on it and use metal bar to get the wire."
I was too stupid to come with idea about electromagnet. XD

about eletromagnet...

command:
do this:

:3
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

All this is interesting. Keep it going Vorty!

And do as Subby says!
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
zombieshooter
lost in subnet

Post by zombieshooter »

Yay, the magnet idea was right! :D

Command (pretty much what Sublevel said, but just in case): Roll the cable around the metal bar and connect it to the batteries in the flashlight.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Let's do this!
Sublevel 105 wrote: do this:
ENIHCAMBUS wrote:do as Subby says!
zombieshooter wrote:Command (pretty much what Sublevel said, but just in case): Roll the cable around the metal bar and connect it to the batteries in the flashlight.

Ian and Luke combine the cable, nail and one of the flashlight's batteries to create a home-made electromagnet.

They then use it in the metal sheet, praying for it to work...

...IT WORKS! They are able to remove the sheet, revealing...

a hidden compartment with a key? Could it be!?