BEAST forum story - discussion thread

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: BEAST (forum story) - discussion thread

Post by Vortex »

I get what you mean, that's one bad thing about that format. But what I'm looking for is that, general unnerving atmosphere with small moments of horror (at this point of the story at least). And well, I can compile it into a story book, adding more details and such, as ak will do with A'LLUKIN. But the story is being partly written by user's commands, so until it's finished I won't do anything :P

I'm continuing it just because of you btw, since everyone else lost the interest. So I'm glad that you are enjoying it :)
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

guys.
srsl
why you don't play it?
:(
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I'm honestly wondering the reason too. Maybe people just don't like the story (which is fine for me). But after all positive reactions it received when the prologue chapter ended I'm a little confused XD am I doing something wrong this time?
bender
wisdom crystal finder

Post by bender »

I know I never post on your thread, because I personally think that, that is not how a forum adventure should be. It should be a spontaneous work not a predetermined one; sure there will be some set plot points, but story progression should not be up to the author, but the player. Instead of seeing such adventures as puzzle games, they should be adventures. For example, it should NOT go like this:

-Command: Pick up key.

-Command: Open door with key.

The problem here that is the story moves in a linear line. Those commands will be given by the players eventually so the author can unravel more of the story; just like a video game; but I think it should not be like that. In video games everything is predetermined its coding, but in a forum adventure game, the author is a living human, who can change the story as he desires, but the story should be shaped as the author wishes it to be; instead, the story should be shaped by the players and the author, via the imagination of the author. Here is what I mean:

In the story the players are expected by the author, to give a command to make the characters to go to a town and buy a hook to fish in the lake. But instead the players give a command to the characters to try to rob a bank, and the author must process the command as the story takes a new path. The author is still the one to decide if the characters will end up in prison or manage to rob the bank, and the quest to fish that fish might be ignored or still stay. Furthermore, the players will decide what to do with the money, and the author, ignoring extremely silly commands, could determine the outcome of that action; he might even add some unexpected twists, such as one of the characters is wanted by the mafia or stuff. In the end the story is shaped by the players and the author, not only by the author.

This is my view of a fun adventure, hope you understand.
Bender sucks
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Thank you bender, I appreaciate your sincerity :)

I understand what you mean. I always try to give some freedom to player's actions and let them guide the tone, it's why all commands are allowed (except very silly ones of course) and you can cause characters to die (Sublevel always gives very logical and serious commands but don't let that give you the impression that only those are allowed :P ).

But you're completely right that the fundamentals are set up to guide the players towards a certain outcome. I designed it that way from the beginning, because I wanted to actually tell a background story in this format, and let you guys shape the details of it, rather than a "choose your own adventure". I understand that it doesn't match with your idea of how a forum story should be, but that's the way I wanted it to be and I have to go with my decision.

On the other hand, the story Sublevel and I are making will probably be much more like you describe, we'll basically only provide the setting and most of the outcomes including the ending will be determined by you. Perhaps you'll like it :)
bender
wisdom crystal finder

Post by bender »

Vortex wrote: On the other hand, the story Sublevel and I are making will probably be much more like you describe, we'll basically only provide the setting and most of the outcomes including the ending will be determined by you. Perhaps you'll like it :)

I am looking forward to it. Do you have a release date?
Bender sucks
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Thanks to my absolutely inactive in development process, release date is far far far away
:/

yeah, you will have freedom in your actions, Bender.
:D

but don't be sad if you see painful result
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Any news, Showposter?
:D
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Wait for holidays.
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Well I have free time now, but I was expecting to spend it with the story I'm making with Sublevel.

But Sublevel doesn't seem interested anymore so XD