Books!

WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Re: Books!

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

RoentgenDevice wrote:as well as the Andrei Tarkovsky film "Stalker".
I saw that film as well, it was cool. I like it.
I'll make sure to keep 'Annihilation' on my scope for books to read.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Prupp
subnet technician

Post by Prupp »

(dotted for future)
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Plan to read the Metro 2035 english translation soon.
Took them long enough.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Prupp
subnet technician

Post by Prupp »

I heard he didn't have a third book planned. So I'm STOKED!!!1
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

RoentgenDevice wrote:I read "Annihilation" by Jeff VanderMeer
That Book is something else. I haven't finish reading it, and I just got it today. But I just had about 2 hours of nightmares and dreams during the afternoon. And this is from reading three chapters in. At one point when I was partially awake I swore I heard the book growling.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

I just finished reading 'A Roadside Picnic' by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. For those of you who do not know, it is the original book that started the 'STALKER' franchise.

The Ending was not altogether what I was expecting, yet at the same time, I already knew it could not end any other way.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
reed
subnet technician

Post by reed »

WorldisQuiet5256 wrote:Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.
I love them. I think quite a lot of their books has been translated into English. I might elaborate if necessary, but generally, don't hesitate if you come across any of those.
no, you're not getting out of here. no way.

operatorsandthings.tumblr.com
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

WorldisQuiet5256 wrote:
RoentgenDevice wrote:I read "Annihilation" by Jeff VanderMeer
That Book is something else. I haven't finish reading it, and I just got it today. But I just had about 2 hours of nightmares and dreams during the afternoon. And this is from reading three chapters in. At one point when I was partially awake I swore I heard the book growling.
Well that's creepy. The version I read has a glow-in-the-dark cover lettering (makes sense plot-wise later in the book), and I didn't realize that until I put it next to my bed and turned the lights off. Needless to say, I was shook by that book
The net is vast and infinite
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Area X is the Garden of Eden.
Strangle Fruit = Tree of Life
Saul = God
Crawler/Tower = Serpent and the Tree of Knowledge
Real People/Animals = Adam and Eves mark left upon Eden
Doppelganger = the Banish Adam and Eve
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

So I picked up "The Fever Code", the last book in the YA series "The Maze Runner" which I was sorta fond of a few years back. Or at least, I thought it sucked less than the other YA dystopian novel series going around at the time.

Just kidding, I liked the series. Didn't think the books were that great but I know how to enjoy things. The series goes like this:

PREQUELS
The Kill Order (2012)
The Fever Code (2016)

MAIN SERIES
The Maze Runner (2009)
The Scorch Trials (2010)
The Death Cure (2011)

So I'm about halfway through Fever Code, after putting the series aside for a few years, especially after being discouraged that the movies aren't up to the par of the books, and...

The Fever Code sucks. I'm going to attribute it to

1) the realizations that I guess I've spent the past few years officially clear of the YA genre and the fact that I'm now way more critical of books and movies and seem to have an increased awareness of flaws and things that can be ironed out (thanks to IHE, RLM and CinemaSins). The writing just isn't grabbing my attention, and the way that they make the characters talk to each other sounds more forced than natural (especially for their age which is quite young, like 5 to 7), pacing is way too fast in the beginning of certain events to establish connections with the characters or strengthen relations between them, and since it provides backstory for the whole WICKED establishment and everything it makes me realize how dumb the ideas of some of these people running the place are and how far-fetched/nonsensical their ideas are. SO there's that.

Also someone tell me how I'm supposed to be impressed anymore with seeing a book cover with the author's name and above that "#1 New York Times Bestselling Author" when literally every author that publishes a book these days is one of those. Honestly the next book I pick up will be from one that doesn't have that at the top.