View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 05 Dec 2019 23:40



Reply to topic  [ 2858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 286  Next
 rant board 
Author Message
subbot maintenance
User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2012 14:16
Posts: 107
Location: Somewhere, Canada
Oh, don't get me started with exams...
Let's just say last Thursday I wrote a Calculus final that our prof was a dick about. Almost all the questions were the long type that involved you to think and expand upon the material taught in the course in ways that were never expected of you during the course. Which was fair, in all honesty. What wasn't fair was the number of questions. The test was written in such a format, that had it all been questions straight from our assignments, and all we did was regurgitate numbers all exam long, we would have barely had time to finish. Factor in the critical thinking, and you get this convoluted mess of an exam.
No one finished it, not even the 2/3rds Asian percentile of my class. In fact, the prof sent us an email the night before, specifically stating that no one would be able to finish the exam.

The amount of rage that boiled up in those classrooms during the 2 1/2 hours of writing was unbelievable. Several of my classmates thought they had gone insane. Those hardcore, 100%-average students were crying. And someone almost assaulted the professor on his way out.

So yeah. Needless to say, I hate exams, namely: that calculus exam.


10 Dec 2012 20:00
Profile
subbot maintenance
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2012 18:14
Posts: 157
Berty wrote:
Quote:
Google is planning something. Something big, I tell you. Next thing they'll start implanting Google chips inside our brains and infiltrating the government. Where's my tin foil hat?

You don't have one yet? You're exposed!
But seriously, I don't doubt that really. When they went around with the street view car it would regularly stop and hack into people's wifi routers and gather passwords.When the American government found out they just slapped Google's wrist with nothing more then an "Oh you naughty thing, you."


The only reason they haven't taken over the world yet is this:
Image

Nobody give them any good ideas...


10 Dec 2012 20:03
Profile
subnet traveller
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2012 18:43
Posts: 1341
Location: Finland
dVanDaHorns wrote:
Oh, don't get me started with exams...
Let's just say last Thursday I wrote a Calculus final that our prof was a dick about. Almost all the questions were the long type that involved you to think and expand upon the material taught in the course in ways that were never expected of you during the course. Which was fair, in all honesty. What wasn't fair was the number of questions. The test was written in such a format, that had it all been questions straight from our assignments, and all we did was regurgitate numbers all exam long, we would have barely had time to finish. Factor in the critical thinking, and you get this convoluted mess of an exam.
No one finished it, not even the 2/3rds Asian percentile of my class. In fact, the prof sent us an email the night before, specifically stating that no one would be able to finish the exam.

The amount of rage that boiled up in those classrooms during the 2 1/2 hours of writing was unbelievable. Several of my classmates thought they had gone insane. Those hardcore, 100%-average students were crying. And someone almost assaulted the professor on his way out.

So yeah. Needless to say, I hate exams, namely: that calculus exam.


So basically the teacher went "Ha! All of you will fail because I will be a dick about writing this!" Seriously?

_________________
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."


10 Dec 2012 20:05
Profile
subbot maintenance
User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2012 14:16
Posts: 107
Location: Somewhere, Canada
Quote:
So basically the teacher went "Ha! All of you will fail because I will be a dick about writing this!" Seriously?


Essentially, yes. We literally proved to be too smart compared to his other calculus classes. (I'm not trying to boast here. It was his words. :P) He gave us a quiz at the beginning, and we had about a 90% average on it. So he tried to play with our average to shift it downward by making the midterm unnecessarily long. But it was easy, so although most of my class got between a 60 and a 70, there were still those students who rocked it with 100%. Going into the final, our average was about 80%, compared to the 73% it was "supposed to be at". And so, he gave us that convoluted crap for a final.

And now, we're at the mercy of the bell curve.


10 Dec 2012 20:10
Profile
Murtaugh's hunter
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2012 17:11
Posts: 11951
Location: Spain
o_O it's a... weird way to make you learn XD
btw what degree are you studying dVan? Some engineering?


10 Dec 2012 21:10
Profile
subbot maintenance
User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2012 14:16
Posts: 107
Location: Somewhere, Canada
OnyxIonVortex wrote:
o_O it's a... weird way to make you learn XD
btw what degree are you studying dVan? Some engineering?


Indeed. xD That's what my class was saying...but since I am in the upper 50 percentile, at least him playing with the marks guarantees me a pass, even if it doesn't reflect what I actually gained from that course. xD

Currently, I am studying to get my undergrad degree in Nanotechnology Engineering!
I presume you are studying something related to astrophysics?


10 Dec 2012 21:21
Profile
subnet technician
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2012 17:38
Posts: 422
Location: uni(verse)
Quote:
Well if you're anything like me try not to let the stress get to you. So far I've found that stress has lost me more points than a lack of studying has.
On one of my more recent chemistry exams, I remember getting to the section on molecular geometries. At the time I had some difficulties recalling the names of the different geometries, and when I did, they ended up mixed up, so I lost points on that. I didn't know they were wrong at the time of course, but when I finished I went on with my life and didn't learn or study one more iota of chemistry until I got that test back. When I got it back, I turned to the page with the molecular geometry problems, and seeing my old answers crossed out I was able to write down the correct names off the top of my head.

So just try not to let it get to you. Not to suggest that you don't need to study, it always helps and is recommended, but remember to manage your stress as well.


Well, stress never influenced on me. I am a pretty nervous person, but exams? No problem. What bothers me is something I can't really define. It's like this: I can follow and fully, and I mean fully understand all math lessons at school, I can do my homework, I practice, but when it's time for test, it's like something in my brain just cracks and I lose myself. I don't have this issue with other subjects, just math. Not really sure why. I could practice a bit more or try a bit harder, but it wouldn't make much difference since I always somehow manage to fu*k up the whole thing on the test. Funny thing is, I laugh at my own mistakes when I see them.
And the worst part? When the teacher reads our names from the best grade to the worst and I'm ALWAYS somewhere at the end of the list. It's so depressing to watch other people stand up and get their tests while you're just sitting there PRAYING for a D. And then you don't even get a D. You get an F. *sigh*

Maybe I should just practice more. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to math gymnasium. Then again, math is the only thing I love and, at the same time, could make a career of.

_________________
all memories are lost in time...
...like tears in the rain


10 Dec 2012 21:27
Profile
lost in subnet
User avatar

Joined: 05 Dec 2012 06:26
Posts: 60
dVanDaHorns wrote:
Oh, don't get me started with exams...
Let's just say last Thursday I wrote a Calculus final that our prof was a dick about. Almost all the questions were the long type that involved you to think and expand upon the material taught in the course in ways that were never expected of you during the course. Which was fair, in all honesty. What wasn't fair was the number of questions. The test was written in such a format, that had it all been questions straight from our assignments, and all we did was regurgitate numbers all exam long, we would have barely had time to finish. Factor in the critical thinking, and you get this convoluted mess of an exam.
No one finished it, not even the 2/3rds Asian percentile of my class. In fact, the prof sent us an email the night before, specifically stating that no one would be able to finish the exam.

The amount of rage that boiled up in those classrooms during the 2 1/2 hours of writing was unbelievable. Several of my classmates thought they had gone insane. Those hardcore, 100%-average students were crying. And someone almost assaulted the professor on his way out.

So yeah. Needless to say, I hate exams, namely: that calculus exam.

Man, I don't even know what to say to that.
He reduced students to tears. Did he even give a shit?
That's messed up.
By and by, if he doesn't curve it, you could always go to a superior. Like a department head or something. Surely someone would have to give a shit if he failed everyone forever. Also, did all of his classes get this over-the-top exam, or just your class?
sundayfever wrote:
Quote:
Well if you're anything like me try not to let the stress get to you. So far I've found that stress has lost me more points than a lack of studying has.
On one of my more recent chemistry exams, I remember getting to the section on molecular geometries. At the time I had some difficulties recalling the names of the different geometries, and when I did, they ended up mixed up, so I lost points on that. I didn't know they were wrong at the time of course, but when I finished I went on with my life and didn't learn or study one more iota of chemistry until I got that test back. When I got it back, I turned to the page with the molecular geometry problems, and seeing my old answers crossed out I was able to write down the correct names off the top of my head.

So just try not to let it get to you. Not to suggest that you don't need to study, it always helps and is recommended, but remember to manage your stress as well.


Well, stress never influenced on me. I am a pretty nervous person, but exams? No problem. What bothers me is something I can't really define. It's like this: I can follow and fully, and I mean fully understand all math lessons at school, I can do my homework, I practice, but when it's time for test, it's like something in my brain just cracks and I lose myself. I don't have this issue with other subjects, just math. Not really sure why. I could practice a bit more or try a bit harder, but it wouldn't make much difference since I always somehow manage to fu*k up the whole thing on the test. Funny thing is, I laugh at my own mistakes when I see them.
And the worst part? When the teacher reads our names from the best grade to the worst and I'm ALWAYS somewhere at the end of the list. It's so depressing to watch other people stand up and get their tests while you're just sitting there PRAYING for a D. And then you don't even get a D. You get an F. *sigh*

Maybe I should just practice more. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to math gymnasium. Then again, math is the only thing I love and, at the same time, could make a career of.


That still kinda sounds like a stress issue to me. If you were in a relaxed state of mind your brain wouldn't 'crack' so to speak.
What I do get from this is that, as far as mathematics goes, you're just a shitty test taker. Which isn't a bad thing, really. A lot of geniuses don't perform well in an academic environment.
It might help to discuss this with someone who has a similar problem. See how they handle it from a psychological standpoint. See if you can adopt any of their practices. There's got to be some way that you can mentally prepare yourself for tests. You'll figure it out, too, if you're really as passionate about mathematics as you say.

_________________
"What happens in the future, doc?"
'"The internet, Marty! There's free pornography in the future! An endless supply of free porn!"


Last edited by Raxas on 10 Dec 2012 21:41, edited 1 time in total.



10 Dec 2012 21:34
Profile
Murtaugh's hunter
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2012 17:11
Posts: 11951
Location: Spain
dVanDaHorns wrote:
OnyxIonVortex wrote:
o_O it's a... weird way to make you learn XD
btw what degree are you studying dVan? Some engineering?


Indeed. xD That's what my class was saying...but since I am in the upper 50 percentile, at least him playing with the marks guarantees me a pass, even if it doesn't reflect what I actually gained from that course. xD

Currently, I am studying to get my undergrad degree in Nanotechnology Engineering!
I presume you are studying something related to astrophysics?


Awesome! I've been always interested in that field too :D

Yeah, I chose the physics degree so later I can specialize to astrophysics :)

EDIT:
sundayfever wrote:
Quote:
Well if you're anything like me try not to let the stress get to you. So far I've found that stress has lost me more points than a lack of studying has.
On one of my more recent chemistry exams, I remember getting to the section on molecular geometries. At the time I had some difficulties recalling the names of the different geometries, and when I did, they ended up mixed up, so I lost points on that. I didn't know they were wrong at the time of course, but when I finished I went on with my life and didn't learn or study one more iota of chemistry until I got that test back. When I got it back, I turned to the page with the molecular geometry problems, and seeing my old answers crossed out I was able to write down the correct names off the top of my head.

So just try not to let it get to you. Not to suggest that you don't need to study, it always helps and is recommended, but remember to manage your stress as well.


Well, stress never influenced on me. I am a pretty nervous person, but exams? No problem. What bothers me is something I can't really define. It's like this: I can follow and fully, and I mean fully understand all math lessons at school, I can do my homework, I practice, but when it's time for test, it's like something in my brain just cracks and I lose myself. I don't have this issue with other subjects, just math. Not really sure why. I could practice a bit more or try a bit harder, but it wouldn't make much difference since I always somehow manage to fu*k up the whole thing on the test. Funny thing is, I laugh at my own mistakes when I see them.
And the worst part? When the teacher reads our names from the best grade to the worst and I'm ALWAYS somewhere at the end of the list. It's so depressing to watch other people stand up and get their tests while you're just sitting there PRAYING for a D. And then you don't even get a D. You get an F. *sigh*

Maybe I should just practice more. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to math gymnasium. Then again, math is the only thing I love and, at the same time, could make a career of.

That happens to me too. Sometimes I make unexplainable silly mistakes in exams or in works. And I think that's because I tend to do things quickly. I do check for errors, but I'm over-confident and sometimes assume a result is right if it looks right in first sight, when it's actually wrong :/


10 Dec 2012 21:36
Profile
subbot maintenance
User avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2012 14:16
Posts: 107
Location: Somewhere, Canada
Quote:
Well, stress never influenced on me. I am a pretty nervous person, but exams? No problem. What bothers me is something I can't really define. It's like this: I can follow and fully, and I mean fully understand all math lessons at school, I can do my homework, I practice, but when it's time for test, it's like something in my brain just cracks and I lose myself. I don't have this issue with other subjects, just math. Not really sure why. I could practice a bit more or try a bit harder, but it wouldn't make much difference since I always somehow manage to fu*k up the whole thing on the test. Funny thing is, I laugh at my own mistakes when I see them.
And the worst part? When the teacher reads our names from the best grade to the worst and I'm ALWAYS somewhere at the end of the list. It's so depressing to watch other people stand up and get their tests while you're just sitting there PRAYING for a D. And then you don't even get a D. You get an F. *sigh*

Maybe I should just practice more. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to math gymnasium. Then again, math is the only thing I love and, at the same time, could make a career of.


Just saying, don't let this issue keep you from achieving your goal of a career in math. Exams do not dictate your level of intelligence, as they tend to be a really bad method of evaluating how well you understand the material.
I know what you mean. I have a few friends who are exactly the same: they know what they're doing, and love it, but can't write a test on it to save their life. I have had that happen to me on a few tests before as well. So don't let that detract you from your love of math!

EDIT: Oh hay, Raxas is back!
Quote:
Man, I don't even know what to say to that.
He reduced students to tears. Did he even give a shit?
That's messed up.
By and by, if he doesn't curve it, you could always go to a superior. Like a department head or something. Surely someone would have to give a shit if he failed everyone forever. Also, did all of his classes get this over-the-top exam, or just your class?


I...honestly don't know. We've (me and my class) been too busy for our next finals coming up to check with his other questions. If he doesn't curve, we're getting him fired, at least from teaching.

I personally believe that he does give a sh*t, just that he's got no clue how to balance an exam accordingly. He was, overall, a fairly good teacher, and he and my class were on good terms, even after the crappy midterm. So...I just...don't know. Thankfully, I won't have him as a prof again, so as long as I pass, I'm good!

Quote:
Awesome! I've been always interested in that field too

Yeah, I chose the physics degree so later I can specialize to astrophysics


Ah, I see then! I know a lot of my classmates also picked the same choices when they were applying, before they settled on engineering. (Which is kind've ironic, since N.T.E.'s Quantum Mechanics and Astrophysics are about as far apart as you can get, physics-wise. :P)


Last edited by dVanDaHorns on 10 Dec 2012 22:12, edited 1 time in total.



10 Dec 2012 21:58
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 2858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 286  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.