off topic

Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Re: off topic

Post by Sublevel 113 »

*explodes*

Btw, any news from covert front of Jatsko's war? Didn't check for two days.
zombieshooter
lost in subnet

Post by zombieshooter »

Hey guys have you read this? What Football Will Look Like In The Future

edit: ok I kinda wrote this like a spam bot :P i just didn't want to spoil anything
Long ago, in the distant future...
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

phew, what was up with forum gain? Like half year ago, I feared for the wort again.

*opens link*

:o

*hides*
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

So you didn't fall for our secret plan to get you to use Skype, huh? :twisted:
Empoeria
the Architect's apprentice

Post by Empoeria »

zombieshooter wrote:Hey guys have you read this? What Football Will Look Like In The Future

edit: ok I kinda wrote this like a spam bot :P i just didn't want to spoil anything
I wasn't gonna click on it because I don't care about football, but, uh... WAT
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Nope, Vorty, I told to myself "don't enter Skype! It's a trap!!!" :mrgreen:
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

At Sublevel's request:

Sub1: I don't really remember. There were a lot of point and clicks and other flash games I used to play in that epoch, so I probably played it just as one game more and I didn't pay much attention to it. I probably didn't even know enough English to understand the note.

Sub2: I think I actually played this one after Sub4. This is when I started to have a grip on the story. I imagined Liz as a small girl who lived in that room in the sewers, and Mur as a crazy man who had kidnapped her in that lighthouse and made up stories in notes to justify himself.

Sub3: I didn't really like it at first. It was the first Submachine game I ever used a walkthrough on, and I was surprised it was even part of the series since it wasn't the same style of game.

Sub4: If I remember correctly it was the second game I played after Sub1. I didn't realize they were part of the same series until some time later. I remember I enjoyed it a lot, probably was the one who hooked me. Only when I replayed it some time later (when I was already a lurker in the forum) I slowly started to understand the underlying story.

Sub5: I found it short but good. This is the game I first started to have a vision on the series overall, and I began to form theories in my head. I don't remember much from this but maybe some of my thoughts are recorded in my old forum archives.

Sub6: It was the first game whose release I waited for. I knew the existence of the forum at that point, and I had read some theories from users. I liked it, even though I found it a bit disconnected from the rest of the series (expected, as it was a completely new area like Mateusz wanted).

Sub7: My first impression was of shock. I recognized the sanctuary from SNEE, then I saw the Winter Palace and I fell in love with the ambient, the glowing plants, the new mechanics and everything. I remember there was a leaked image before the release but I didn't see it so it was all new to me. I didn't expect karma portals being actually shown in-game (I had imagined them invisible, just like Mur's arm according to that note). I think these things overall made the game unique, but also the odd one out in Submachine. So I expected Mateusz to go back to the "normal" games with machines and such stuff after this one. Plotwise, I was happy that Liz took a relevant role (which disproved my earlier thoughts about Sub2), but I became very confused over the exact placement of the Lighthouse within the Core and the Root, and of the Defense Systems. That confusion still persists...

Sub8: I expected the return to the classic games, with machines, revisiting old stuff, etc. So I was a bit underwhelmed when it came out. It also felt very short, probably because the locations were very structured and with no room for exploration. Since there wasn't a running theme among the locations, it felt like seven interconnected very short games, or like a small version of SNEE. Also there was almost no plot. I can't say my first impression was good compared to the other games.

Sub9: Again I expected machines and it got even more spirituality XD It departed from what my idea of Submachine's final games was, it added more questions than solved. An exception was that we finally knew the fate of Mur and Liz. I was surprised at this big revelation, and I had to change many of my previous thoughts about what happened during the series. The ending was weird to me, it left me with no idea about what the next game could be.

Sub10: Finally, a partial return to machines! It made everything fit together a bit better, with Shiva being a computer. On the other hand, I found all that layer/sublayer stuff strange, like out of place, since there had been no mention of this in very earlier games (that also goes for Sub8 and Sub9). It took some time until I made sense out of it in my head (I wrote about it as a theory). About the ending, well, I already told you over Skype :P

Sub0: This was another one of the games I played before I realized that it was connected to other games.

SubFLF: I didn't know what to make of it at first. It was too weird for me to "accept" it as part of Submachine at the time, especially because of the surreal elements and the painting-teleporter. My initial guess is that it was a dream or hallucination of the player, like probably many people also thought.

Sub32: Nice and fun little game, nothing too unexpected. I enjoyed the reference to popular culture with the 2012 end of the world thing.

SNEE: I was overwhelmed when it came out, so many rooms XD I was also really happy and grateful when my theory was picked to be there.

And that's about it. Ask if you want to know more details :)
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Vortex wrote:Sub1: I don't really remember. There were a lot of point and clicks and other flash games I used to play in that epoch, so I probably played it just as one game more and I didn't pay much attention to it. I probably didn't even know enough English to understand the note.
EXACTLY THE SAME
SubFLF: I didn't know what to make of it at first. It was too weird for me to "accept" it as part of Submachine at the time, especially because of the surreal elements and the painting-teleporter. My initial guess is that it was a dream or hallucination of the player, like probably many people also thought.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
the same... And then he woke up in the bed in Sub5...

Also I thought it was some kind of "fight" for Player's memories. If he got lost, he would lose his memories. But he did win, and opposite - returned part of old memories, before he ended up in the basement and submachine.

Sub5: I found it short but good. This is the game I first started to have a vision on the series overall, and I began to form theories in my head. I don't remember much from this but maybe some of my thoughts are recorded in my old forum archives.
But Mur the kidnapper theory was made before this, not? XD
oh my.. the best theory I have seen
dammit, when I read it now and imagined the lighthouse... I di return to that early ears for a moment... :cry:
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Sublevel 105 wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
the same... And then he woke up in the bed in Sub5...

Also I thought it was some kind of "fight" for Player's memories. If he got lost, he would lose his memories. But he did win, and opposite - returned part of old memories, before he ended up in the basement and submachine.
Yeah, the beginning and ending quotes give that feeling. It was a good theory at the time.
Sublevel 105 wrote:
But Mur the kidnapper theory was made before this, not? XD
oh my.. the best theory I have seen
Yeah, I thought of it when I first played Sub2 and some people in the forum also had thought of the same idea.
Sublevel 105 wrote:dammit, when I read it now and imagined the lighthouse... I di return to that early ears for a moment... :cry:
:')
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

This one is an odd one. You see, I decided to take part in the very first Game Maker’s Toolkit game jam. Because why not. The theme of the jam was – dual purpose mechanics. Yeah, I know. And this is what I came up with after… uhm… about 24 hours of thinking about it. The jam was already well on the way when I cam up with this idea. That left me roughly 36 hours to create this game. From scratch. Since they were very strict about rules and everything had to be done on the fly as I went – that’s how I did it. All code, graphics, ideas, sounds and everything was created during that 36-hour period on one weekend. When I count the hours I think I did it in about 32 hours, since I finished about 4 am, four hours before the deadline. It’s as good as it gets I guess. I found out that is really easier to take part in a comics 24-hour project than in 48-hour game design project.
I did it in about 32 hours
Mateusz can make Submachine game in only 32 hours: CONFIRMED