View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Nov 2018 10:34



Reply to topic  [ 1960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 196  Next
 Submachine Wiki 
Author Message
subnet traveller
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2012 18:43
Posts: 1269
Location: Finland
http://submachine.wikia.com/wiki/Cultural_influences_in_the_Submachine_series

I added more math and physics information to the Cultural influences page. If someone would be so good as to check my stuff, I'd be glad.

_________________
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."


23 Feb 2017 16:53
Profile
explodes
User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2012 20:23
Posts: 15376
There's QUITE LITTLE new posts in Forum posts...

I thought there was a lot of new subinfo in last Mati's streams...
(I still don't find a time to watch them by myself... T-T)

_________________
Test Sublands, PCG: playing with GameMaker
Research: 3/36
OST: 22/32
Stick: middle of nowhere
alternate Stick: universe is dead
H^HTEP: 5/100


23 Feb 2017 17:00
Profile
subnet traveller
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2012 18:43
Posts: 1269
Location: Finland
I've been adding everything I see, but I haven't had tie to listen to Mat's streams either.

_________________
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."


23 Feb 2017 17:02
Profile
Murtaugh's hunter
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2012 17:11
Posts: 11875
Location: Spain
Anteroinen wrote:
I added more math and physics information to the Cultural influences page. If someone would be so good as to check my stuff, I'd be glad.

Hm, my biggest concern is that these might be too detailed trivia for a wiki dedicated to a game. It's good as a general culture thing, but I don't think many people would find it relevant to the game. Then again, we have a lot of info describing not totally relevant things such as Mayan glyphs, so I don't really have a problem with it.

That said,

-the info about π is alright as far as I understand. The video is good but it's not really about π (it can be defined without any reference to geometry, for example as 1/2i of the fundamental period of exp in ℂ, or as a series).

-everything's fine here, though the word "simultaneously" is a bit deceptive. A quantum state is a vector (well, really a ray because magnitude and global phase don't matter), and one normally doesn't say, for example, that the vector (1,1) is simultaneously equal to (1,0) and (0,1), not? :P Schrödinger's cat would really be in a different state, not alive, not dead, but which has nonzero projections in the states alive and dead, though that's oversimplified in many popular explanations. Also, there is a mention of "similar probability matrices", but there isn't any previous mention of matrices (or I missed it).

-well, the object can be moving (rotating or vibrating, for example), but its overall linear motion must average to zero. This is a bit nitpicking XD but since you are going for full precision in the mathematics part, I thought I could clarify that.

-that's a nice addition, I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned before.

Sublevel 105 wrote:
There's QUITE LITTLE new posts in Forum posts...

I thought there was a lot of new subinfo in last Mati's streams...
(I still don't find a time to watch them by myself... T-T)

Well, the streams are recorded in YouTube and Mateusz has a copy in case they get deleted, so there's no need to hurry to transcribe them. But yeah, it needs to be done (I'd help but I don't have much time either :/)


23 Feb 2017 19:51
Profile
subnet traveller
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2012 18:43
Posts: 1269
Location: Finland
Vortex wrote:
the info about π is alright as far as I understand. The video is good but it's not really about π (it can be defined without any reference to geometry, for example as 1/2i of the fundamental period of exp in ℂ, or as a series).


True enough, there are probably thousands of series that someone has proven to approach pi and you might just as well use any of those as the definition. To be fair, most common definitions do hinge on the circle thing on some level (I mean the exponential function in the complex plane definitely does).

I felt like adding the video mostly to allow a look into how the geometric definition of pi kind of affects its value and how "distance" is also not an obvious concept. Obviously, if we choose a random analytic definition, then it is independent of geometry.

Quote:
-everything's fine here, though the word "simultaneously" is a bit deceptive. A quantum state is a vector (well, really a ray because magnitude and global phase don't matter), and one normally doesn't say, for example, that the vector (1,1) is simultaneously equal to (1,0) and (0,1), not? :P Schrödinger's cat would really be in a different state, not alive, not dead, but which has nonzero projections in the states alive and dead, though that's oversimplified in many popular explanations. Also, there is a mention of "similar probability matrices", but there isn't any previous mention of matrices (or I missed it).


I admit one might want to phrase that better. The Schrödinger's cat thing is usually phrased "simultaneously alive and dead" (probably a part of the whole "see how dumb this is?" deal), but that isn't really the mathematical conception of it, I know. I didn't want to actually have to explain qubits and matrices in detail, though. That said, I've only studied the basics of the subject, so, yeah. I'm not surev how I would phrase that better.

EDIT: At least it no longer says "Schrödinger's Cat Theory" as if it were an official scientific theory about cats dying in boxes.

Quote:
-well, the object can be moving (rotating or vibrating, for example), but its overall linear motion must average to zero. This is a bit nitpicking XD but since you are going for full precision in the mathematics part, I thought I could clarify that.


Hmm, makes sense. I have only gone through the very basics of relativity at uni, so my knowledge of the subject is fairly limited. I don't know how to better formulate that.

Quote:
-that's a nice addition, I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned before.


Not actually sure what exactly you are referring to here, the Sagittarius A* thing?

_________________
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."


23 Feb 2017 22:12
Profile
Murtaugh's hunter
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2012 17:11
Posts: 11875
Location: Spain
Anteroinen wrote:
True enough, there are probably thousands of series that someone has proven to approach pi and you might just as well use any of those as the definition. To be fair, most common definitions do hinge on the circle thing on some level (I mean the exponential function in the complex plane definitely does).

I felt like adding the video mostly to allow a look into how the geometric definition of pi kind of affects its value and how "distance" is also not an obvious concept. Obviously, if we choose a random analytic definition, then it is independent of geometry.

That's true, also the location 314 itself is evidently based on circles.

I think it's ok to add the video, maybe we can also relate it to nonstandard geometries appearing in the Subnet like the loops to make it more relevant.

Anteroinen wrote:
I admit one might want to phrase that better. The Schrödinger's cat thing is usually phrased "simultaneously alive and dead" (probably a part of the whole "see how dumb this is?" deal), but that isn't really the mathematical conception of it, I know. I didn't want to actually have to explain qubits and matrices in detail, though. That said, I've only studied the basics of the subject, so, yeah. I'm not surev how I would phrase that better.

EDIT: At least it no longer says "Schrödinger's Cat Theory" as if it were an official scientific theory about cats dying in boxes.


As you say, it's probably not worth it to give a lot of detail. You could say it's in a state that has part of dead and part of alive, or something similar, but I don't know how to phrase it best either.

And yeah, good thing that's gone :P

EDIT: hmm, according to Wikipedia, Schrödinger's original words were "the living and dead cat [...] mixed or smeared out in equal parts". It's something we can quote, though the language's a little colorful XD

Anteroinen wrote:
Hmm, makes sense. I have only gone through the very basics of relativity at uni, so my knowledge of the subject is fairly limited. I don't know how to better formulate that.

The easiest way would be to replace "object" by "center of mass" in the last sentence. But if you want to leave it like that it's fine too, as I said it's just nitpicking.

Anteroinen wrote:
Not actually sure what exactly you are referring to here, the Sagittarius A* thing?

Yeah, that's what I meant.


23 Feb 2017 22:47
Profile
karma portal traveller
User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2013 22:17
Posts: 8497
Location: Pastel Lands.
Quote:
A painting done by Mateusz in the same vein as previous watercolor works; this one including a broken portal like that of the twins room portals. The room was updated around the same time as this was painted.


Please, explain this.

_________________
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!


13 Mar 2017 15:04
Profile
karma portal traveller
User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014 11:20
Posts: 5467
Yeah, on second thought, I'm not sure about that line. I was thinking really long-term in terms of Subnet updates and relatively how close it was to the painting. I was trying to convey the thought that Mateusz painted the broken portal as a sort of continuation of the thoughts he had when he updated 523.

_________________
YouTube
Pastel Inspirations


13 Mar 2017 16:19
Profile
karma portal traveller
User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2013 22:17
Posts: 8497
Location: Pastel Lands.
Yeah, it really got me confused. But of course, I wouldn't really think there was an update and nobody was discussing about it.

Maybe changing it to:
Quote:
A painting done by Mateusz in the same vein as previous watercolor works; this one including a broken portal like that of the twins room portals added in January 2017 update.

_________________
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!


13 Mar 2017 16:55
Profile
karma portal traveller
User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014 11:20
Posts: 5467
That's much more concise. Will do :D

_________________
YouTube
Pastel Inspirations


13 Mar 2017 16:59
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 196  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.