Submachine Wiki

Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Re: Submachine Wiki

Post by Jatsko »

If that's the drop zone's only purpose, then why did we hold on to that data for so long?

Like, who needs that information? (Because I'm all for removing it from the Wiki if it serves no purpose)

Also, same question for REV size.

A while ago I restructured every infobox on the location pages to include REV size and drop zones of each location. When all of those pages were first edited a great deal of them had that information in the trivia sections. I assumed people thought it was important enough for some reason to keep on the Wiki, so I made it proper game information.

The problem, it seems to me especially with REV size, like you said Anteroinen, is that they're never up to date. I couldn't find information on REV size for a good deal of pages (so that spot is just blank; I hoped someone else would do the work there :P) an I don't trust the information to be up-to-date on the [[REV size]] page. So I've seen some of the hassle.

I would be in favor of removing all that data from the Wiki entirely if it doesn't serve much use. Maybe keep a backup list on here or somewhere else for those who don't want it completely gone from the internet. It would make location pages less cluttered visually (which I understand I take full responsibility for) and I've always thought that the Wiki should be clear and concise as much as possible.

Thoughts?
reed
subnet technician

Post by reed »

Jatsko wrote:I would be in favor of removing all that data from the Wiki entirely if it doesn't serve much use.
two pennies from a lurker: second that. and a backup list of drop zones certainly woudn't hurt.
no, you're not getting out of here. no way.

operatorsandthings.tumblr.com
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Third that :P

Also, if backup means only of the current data then I'd say it isn't even necessary, because the Wiki keeps an history of all pages so the information will always be there if someone wants to look at it.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Jatsko wrote:I would be in favor of removing all that data from the Wiki entirely if it doesn't serve much use. Maybe keep a backup list on here or somewhere else for those who don't want it completely gone from the internet. It would make location pages less cluttered visually (which I understand I take full responsibility for) and I've always thought that the Wiki should be clear and concise as much as possible.
I don't see any purpose on having that info on the pages of the rooms themselves, but at the same time I do not see why we can't keep the pages on the topics themselves. Though, I suppose that since updating them requires opening up the game and reverse engineering it all, I will concede to them pretty much being a hassle.

That said, it should be documented SOMEWHERE on the wiki that the Sub warp loader existed and what the stuff on it meant. It is referenced in the forum posts, even, so the wiki needs to have that info somewhere. Individual REV sizes especially are superfluous to what the Wiki needs, but we are talking about a feature of an earlier version of SNEE that requires explanation – and for once we HAVE the explanation, unlike in most every other case.

EDIT: That said need of a particular fact is not a good justification for having or not having it – need is quite subjective. I mean, where ELSE would you go to find REV sizes and drop zones but a Submachine Wikia?
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

my point: it's History of Submachine (remember Sub9 secret note?). We couldn't throw out it so easily.

My point: we should remove informations about Rev sizes and drop zones from Locations pages, but we should mention about them in SubVerse page, and show direct links to Drop Zones and Rev Size detail pages (not removing them). Leaving mention that there were such characteristics in Subnet before (together with sub-warp loader, three-letters coordinates, etc), but now they're gone.

what do you think?
Anonymous1
subnet technician

Post by Anonymous1 »

There are a few things that need to be removed or condensed...
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

...such as?

What about having one page known as "Sub warp loader" that includes both lists of REV sizes and Drop zones? I could throw that together tonight.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

That sounds fairly simple and satisfactory to me.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

For record-keeping purposes: http://imgur.com/a/oMVg1
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

great.

Your actions?