Murtaugh's hunter

Re: Submachine Wiki

Post by Vortex »

Oh, okay.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

I'm going to set up a Wiki stream sometime this week if possible to accomodate the next update.

I need clarification on a few things though:

1. 629 - What type of location is it? And how are we sure it's accurate to call it 629? I went through towerofnix's findings but didn't read anything that said any file names had "629" in them, and it's just a name we're calling it due to it being extended off 628. I don't feel comfortable calling ti 629 if there's no portal and we got there by layer switch. So I could use an explanation there.

2. PBU/THB - obviously PBU is a KP loc, and both have KP loc names, but what type of portal is o.7.0.7's prototype? It looks more similar to a lab type, but then again there aren't XYZ coordinates and there's only one option. I'm guessing that listing it as KP would be most appropriate, but I just wanted to double-check.

(not to mention this brings us a giant step closer to proving the connection between KPs and lab portals.....:D)
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Jatsko wrote: 1. 629 - What type of location is it? And how are we sure it's accurate to call it 629? I went through towerofnix's findings but didn't read anything that said any file names had "629" in them, and it's just a name we're calling it due to it being extended off 628. I don't feel comfortable calling ti 629 if there's no portal and we got there by layer switch. So I could use an explanation there.
Yeah, it's not completely clear whether the current arrangement is intended or not. The 629 coordinate is seemingly on purpose, since you can input it in the lab portal and be taken there, but we haven't seen one-way transportation of this kind before. It would be easier if the red portal were still there, but unless Mateusz says something I believe we shouldn't treat it as "canon" (we can mention it, of course).
Jatsko wrote:2. PBU/THB - obviously PBU is a KP loc, and both have KP loc names, but what type of portal is o.7.0.7's prototype? It looks more similar to a lab type, but then again there aren't XYZ coordinates and there's only one option. I'm guessing that listing it as KP would be most appropriate, but I just wanted to double-check.

(not to mention this brings us a giant step closer to proving the connection between KPs and lab portals.....:D)
I'm against calling it a karma portal location, that could lead to confusion. This portal looks like the one at the end of Sub6, much more similar to a lab portal than to a karma portal. In my opinion we should make a new category to accomodate locations like 629 or THB, since this kind of locations may grow in the future as Mateusz tries new transportation methods (like cipher plates, navigators, embedded binary portals, and so on).
towerofnix
lost in subnet

Post by towerofnix »

Jatsko wrote:629 - What type of location is it? And how are we sure it's accurate to call it 629? I went through towerofnix's findings but didn't read anything that said any file names had "629" in them, and it's just a name we're calling it due to it being extended off 628. I don't feel comfortable calling ti 629 if there's no portal and we got there by layer switch. So I could use an explanation there.[/spoiler]
Okay, so.

Your first and most obvious proof that the coordinate 629 exists is to punch it into your portal. You'll end up at this screen, for reasons I explained in that post. (Vortex also explained.)

Okay, now, let me make one thing VERY clear:

You remember how all the location file names were "encrypted"? If you go into the sub_loc folder (I don't think it's in the windows downloads, btw - try the linux/SWF download instead), you won't see files like 550.swf, you'll see files like ld_01w87.sub_loc.

So, each location has TWO coordinates: a normal coordinate, the one you punch into your teleporter, and an encrypted coordinate, the name of the file you find in the sub_loc folder.

That's why you didn't find a file called 629.swf. Files in the sub_loc folder aren't named by their normal coordinates; they're named by encrypted coordinates!

----

In the game (subnet.swf), there is one important script. This's the location map script, and it essentially looks like this:

Code: Select all

var target_location = [];
target_location["000"] = "00_00000";
target_location["001"] = "la_210d3";
target_location["987"] = "nl_clock";
target_location["992"] = "ar_04gre";
target_location.awy = "te_uy50t";
target_location.ael = "nl_5vqaz";
target_location.wrt = "nl_652qt";
target_location.zwo = "co_302ia";
The file isn't too complicated; it just gives you pairs of normal coordinates and encrypted coordinates.

So, if you look in this script, you'll find two relevant entries:

Code: Select all

target_location["628"] = "nl_o9086";
target_location["629"] = "nl_o9087";
See? This script is the hard proof of 629's existence; it's literally in the game code. We, the community, didn't name 629 based on it being next to 628. We didn't name it AT ALL, the game did!

That said, I agree with Vortex. I don't think we should write about this location's coordinate (or existence) on the wiki without a word from Mateusz.

(Edit: fixed spoiler formatting.)
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

I didn't previously know about being able to enter 629 directly into the portal. And thanks for the interior code clarification.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Sigh. Only now I got "beamed up" meaning...
And again I translated some forum posts wrong.

Now: Guys, again, I need help with one forum post:

Sep 4, 2009 6:55 pm
No, I meant that the evolution is caused atleats partially by human rebuilding from within.
could you explain, please?

Till this time I thought it's about Outer Rim expansion. BUT it was said that there was human factor at the beginning. So now it is said that not...

Or I misunderstoon "human rebuilding from within part?"

thx
reed
subnet technician

Post by reed »

I feel like "human rebuilding" is too vague a term in this context. Human factor caused the accident that was a reason of the Outer Rim expansion.
UPD: they weren't actually trying to rebuild anything, they were just exploring... I guess.
no, you're not getting out of here. no way.

operatorsandthings.tumblr.com
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

thx

but my question is still valid, guys.

Also: I found old responce to my question:
I'm pretty sure they meant "dimension" differently. to them it was jumping between different clusters of submachines in one dimension.
methinks.
I hope this spoken word "cluster" isn't the same that was described later in last SNEE updates?
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I think it's not the same, he is probably referring there to a subregion of a layer with similar architecture.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Vortex wrote:I think it's not the same, he is probably referring there to a subregion of a layer with similar architecture.
what about first question? :)