RoentgenDevice's theories/ interpretations

RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Re: RoentgenDevice's theories/ interpretations

Post by RoentgenDevice »

[Here’s a theory/ interpretation that will probably seem spaced out at first, but I think it could fit. Feel free to comment.]

Submachine is the most epic adventure ever
… because the games are visualizing the mental development and maturing of a person.

In Sub1, we are cramped and have a narrow view. The rooms are small and cubical and we only move on by switching between them; What other people say to us (represented with Murtaughs note) is a riddle. We are not able to see a connection between his writings and the world we feel trapped in.
The music, that sounds like a dying animal, fits well. ;D

In Sub2, we get to note other people in the strange universe. This is crucial, because without them, we could not find out what is actually surrounding us. As we are still “buried”, it’s barely possible to appreciate and be on one level with them- it looks as if they knew everything about this place and were just toying with us. This way of thinking could be linked to the tension we experienced in Sub1.
Nevertheless, our view gets a bit less enclosed; the environment is not only composed of a few small rooms, but of a whole lighthouse with hallways, a big ladder etc.
The music is still quite creepy and has a “nervous” vibe to it.

Sub3 is an upheaval; It’s actually the first time we get conscious of our development, because the elements of the game (“It’s just you and the machine” etc.) are addressed right at the beginning- The game has the feeling of a first “Boss Battle” to it (enhancing this could be a reason why Mateusz makes a harder version of Sub3).
Sub3 is a game where the focus on other people lessens at first, because we are fascinated by ourselfes and our ability to confront life the “doer” way (by solving the puzzles). At the end, we get to decide if we go on with that or listen to someone else (who obviously has more experience than we have).
Our own mind gets expanded, but still is quite a mystery to ourselves (the endlessly looping rooms).
All in all, Sub3 -“the loop”- shows infinite self-reflection (backed by the feverish soundtrack) that can only get stopped by considering another point of view.

Sub4 is basically Sub2, but expanded due to our new experiences. We realize that there are a lot of other people going through this and that they actually can help each other, even if they are invisible and just communicate through notes. The feeling that we are a single, special person trapped in Submachine and being bossed around by Murtaugh lessens- not only because of the notes but also the fact that he (seemingly) could not predict our escape from the loop. Plus, we become able to explore different locations (teleporter).
Sub4 is the first time we get to look back onto our previous stages and delve into them (by visiting them to collect items we need to solve the big Puzzle). Note that we don’t infinitely self-reflect when visiting the loopey location.
The calming, yet deep music from the Lab is an innovation to the series.

I will expand this in the near future. ~To be continued~
The net is vast and infinite
Lord of Flies
subbot maintenance

Post by Lord of Flies »

I like it very much. Submachine has way too many theories on universe functioning and not enough interpretations in symbolic dimension.
I can see how it's relevant in newer games, but I don't know if it can ne really expanded on all the games. I feel like games after sub4 are steps back in terms of freedom. Especially Sub6 and Sub9.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

awesome review! :D
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

would that mean that Sub10 represents the death of the person? or it doesn't go that far?
Lord of Flies
subbot maintenance

Post by Lord of Flies »

I think that according to this theory it just means maturity of a man. Maturity in psychological meaning.
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

Lord of Flies wrote:I think that according to this theory it just means maturity of a man. Maturity in psychological meaning.
I thought so. That's why I'm pretty sure Sub10 is going to have a quite positive ending.
Lord of Flies wrote:I can see how it's relevant in newer games, but I don't know if it can ne really expanded on all the games. I feel like games after sub4 are steps back in terms of freedom. Especially Sub6 and Sub9.
I stopped writing becuase of exactly that- have to think about how Sub5, Sub6 and Sub9 could fit into that.
Lord of Flies
subbot maintenance

Post by Lord of Flies »

On the other hand, is there even a single point, when a man reaches the end of his development? Aside of death?
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I'd say it depends on the person and/or the circumstances.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Well, going back to Sub5 and 6, does it really end there? Could it continue to be the Player's first experience with what it means to be working under someone else, like a job? Most of us face some sort of job in our lifetime, and Mur could be taken to be our employer. In Sub6 we discover the feeling of desertion, which really impacts us because so far we've been following someone else's orders and now we have to think for ourselves.

Sub7 shows us for the first time that humans aren't always nice, and how the damage of corruption extends everywhere in our environment, and that we have to pick our way through it to keep progressing forward. It is here that we're truly starting to live our own life and figure things out for ourselves as a more fully grown individual. This transfers to Sub8 especially, where we have to visit different layers to solve a single problem. (This could allude to looking at different angles or viewpoints of a problem to see a solution)

Then in Sub9 we see the true, hugely developed stories of other people, and grow to accept that they have their own faults just like we do. That's pretty much the same as recognizing that not everyone is against us (i.e. Murtaugh) and that we just have to look at their experiences from their perspectives. Sub9 reveals a ton about Mur ad Liz's backstory, which leads us to Enlightenment/Sub10 (where we are enlightened with all of our experiences that have led us to this point so far).

In short, I think RD's theory does indeed extend beyond Sub4.
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

Great ideas here, i'm gonna work that in tomorrow or today or wednesday or the day after the day after tomorrow. ;)