Diamond's theories

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: Diamond's Theory of 4th Dimensions

Post by Vortex »

gemini wrote:Well then what is the difference between a Layer/Dimension and a Spatial Dimension?
A spatial dimension is a degree of freedom in the position of an object. You can think of it as a coordinate. For example, Submachine's loop has two usable spatial dimensions, because you can move vertically and horizontally (so the navigator uses two coordinates (x, y)). In Sub5's nine room puzzle you have depth because you can enter rooms in front of you, so you have three coordinates (x, y, z), thus three dimensions (remember that Mateusz described the puzzle as 2.5D? I think it's because it's Submachine's internal 3D space (3 coordinates) represented in a 2D flat computer screen).
What Diamond's theory is saying is that we can take the layer number as another coordinate, thus we have 4 usable spatial dimensions: (x, y, z, L), where L runs from 0 to 7.

A layer/"dimension" is like a parallel world. There are seven layers (according to Mateusz's post), each one would be a chunk of 3D space, aligned through the L spatial dimension, like layers of paper aligned through a vertical axis.

Thus there are 7 layers/"dimensions" and 4 spatial dimensions. I hope this makes sense :P
Diamonds
subbot maintenance

Re: Diamond's Theory of 4th Dimensions

Post by Diamonds »

thanks, Vortex!

but yeah, dimension is commonly used to refer to a "world" of sorts.

the way I use dimension is how you say 3D, or 3 dimensional. it extends in three unique directions. now I say 4D, or in four unique directions.

it might help if you've studied vectors. assume a vector (and it's opposite) with magnitudes of the limit of k as k approaches zero. the span of this set of vectors is a single straight line. should you find a vector that is NOT a member of the span, add it (and it's opposite) to the set of vectors. now the span of the set is a plane. you have added a dimension. find another vector (and it's opposite) that aren't on the plane and add them to the set, you now have a span of an entire three-demensional space. you have added another dimension.

in regular three-dimensional space, every single vector possible is part of the span. however, NOT assuming we are confined to this 3-dimensional space, should you find a vector that is not part of the span of this set, not within these three dimensions and add them to the set, the span of the set is now a 4-dimensional space. you have added a dimension. you can do this over and over, finding a vector not contained within a line or a plane or a cube or a tesseract (4D cube,) and you will always have a new dimension. it is these dimensions I'm talking about, the ones that seperate lines from planes from cubes.

TL;DR: i'm talking about the dimensions that make lines/segments, planes/squares, and spaces/cubes all different from each other. the dimensions you add when going from 2D to 3D, not worlds.

EDIT

liek this:
I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Diamonds
subbot maintenance

the theory[?] of no theory

Post by Diamonds »

this is a theory (maybe) about theories in general by yours truly.

look at where we are in the subverse. one game away from the last[?], and still no clear understanding what makes it tick. we have snee, which compiles all the [good] theories into a nice game, with some extra cool stuff along the way, but the inclusion of all these theories shows to me that mat is implying that he's not going to tell us which is the correct one. out of universe, i think the situation is that we're going to be left pondering about the subnet for a long while, because it's unexplained.
i think the same happens in-universe, in a sense. the subnet is an unexplained phenomenon, one that does not conform with our current understanding of physics, nor even euclidean mathematics. maybe it isn't explainable; it's just there, with no rhyme or reason, and there's no need to explain it. maybe all the theories are misguided, as attempting to understand the un-understandable leads one nowhere. maybe it's like the universe in that aspect, where it's simply "there" with no beginning nor need for one, as it simply is. i highly doubt mat's just going to pick a favorite theory and say "that's how it works", and i also highly doubt that there is any way it works at all.
maybe trying to understand how the submachine is un-understandable is also a fallacy in itself, seeing how that action is itself trying to understand the submachine.
i know that i know nothing; do i know this?
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Re: the theory[?] of no theory

Post by Jatsko »

which compiles all the [good] theories into a nice game
Counter: Flaming Monkey Theory, by Dr. NotSoNice--Coord. 550

Might I recommend the title: "The Theory Theory" by Diamonds :D
Diamonds
subbot maintenance

Post by Diamonds »

good or not, it's in there =P
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

^lol
Diamonds
subbot maintenance

Post by Diamonds »

it's really the inclusion of hinduism/buddhism that really got me thinking like this about the game. it feels to match that "theme."
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Diamonds wrote:this is a theory (maybe) about theories in general by yours truly.

look at where we are in the subverse. one game away from the last[?], and still no clear understanding what makes it tick. we have snee, which compiles all the [good] theories into a nice game, with some extra cool stuff along the way, but the inclusion of all these theories shows to me that mat is implying that he's not going to tell us which is the correct one. out of universe, i think the situation is that we're going to be left pondering about the subnet for a long while, because it's unexplained.
i think the same happens in-universe, in a sense. the subnet is an unexplained phenomenon, one that does not conform with our current understanding of physics, nor even euclidean mathematics. maybe it isn't explainable; it's just there, with no rhyme or reason, and there's no need to explain it. maybe all the theories are misguided, as attempting to understand the un-understandable leads one nowhere. maybe it's like the universe in that aspect, where it's simply "there" with no beginning nor need for one, as it simply is. i highly doubt mat's just going to pick a favorite theory and say "that's how it works", and i also highly doubt that there is any way it works at all.
maybe trying to understand how the submachine is un-understandable is also a fallacy in itself, seeing how that action is itself trying to understand the submachine.
i know that i know nothing; do i know this?
I came up with that same conclusion.
All the notes in the Subnet, even though 3/4 are not even Mur’s, but they still are in that same existences within the non-existing world.
Are all those Ideas, Thoughts, Theories, Scribbles are the Actual Submachine itself.
All those Ideas...
All those Thoughts...
All those Theories...
All those Scribbles...
Is it the Submachine itself?
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Diamonds
subbot maintenance

Post by Diamonds »

while i respect the opposite view that the theories, ideas, thoughts, scribbles, etc. are what fundamentally build the submachine, what i mean is that they absolutely don't. none of them. they help us understand and make sense of, but are nowhere near absolute. why should the subnet be bound by rules?
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

MateuszSkutnik wrote:Why does Saturn Exist?
Mateusz respond to me asking that same question, and that was the answer he gave me.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING