Welcome!

Mr. Trapezoid
lost in subnet

Re: Welcome!

Post by Mr. Trapezoid »

Okay so I've browsed through the forum pages and I can't find a more suitable place to post this so I'm just gonna share this info here:

I guess most of you here know of the youtube channel Game Maker's Toolkit (GMT for short). Skutnik attended to GMT's game jam once with the scrolling shooter the Ravine so I guess most of you know of the channel. I really admire the work Mark Brown has put into graphing out the dungeons for every Zelda game. What I realized not long ago is that Mark Brown's dungeon graphs applies incredibly well to the Submachine series so over the last few weeks I've graphed out every single Submachine game's dungeon design following GMT's rules of operation.

If people have already made graphs of Submachine's dungeon design feel free to share them. I doubt I'm the first person to think of doing this, but I think the graphs look quite nice and I have a lot of personal thoughts on the evolution of the Submachine series I need to vent so I hope you guys don't mind me sharing them here.

Starting tomorrow I will be posting one dungeon graph a day, starting with Submachine 1. I will be releasing graphs in the order the games were released: 1, 2, 3, 0, 4, FLF (I'll be covering both the 2007 and 2014 version as they have different dungeon designs), 5, 6, 32, 7, 8, 9 and finally 10. It is primarily the HD versions of these from 2014-2015 I will be covering. I will not be covering secret collectibles in these graphs (they are called secrets for a reason ;) ) but certain bonus items like the wisdom gem from Sub 1 I will be covering.

Also, I will be posting each graph on their respective forum page (the sub 1 graph on the sub 1 page, sub 2 on the sub 2 page and so forth) so I will not be flooding the welcome page with this. When all the graphs are up on the forum I hope to posts them all collectively but I'm not sure where.

That's it for now, see you tomorrow for the dungeon graph of submachine 1
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

What do you mean by "dungeon graph" of the Sub games? Do you mean the maps of all the rooms in the locations (where all the square rooms are arranged next to each other) or is this a fanart project where you're recreating the rooms in a pixellated format or something? Or is it something else?

If it's the former, these have already been made and are carefully curated on each location's page on the Submachine Wiki. If it's the latter, I would suggest opening up a thread for your fanart in general discussion.

If it's something else, let us know.
Mr. Trapezoid
lost in subnet

Post by Mr. Trapezoid »

Apocryphactor wrote: What do you mean by "dungeon graph" of the Sub games?
It is something else. This video goes into detail how a dungeon graph works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4GLH03gyA

A dungeon graph is a design document which shows how keys and locks are spread throughout a game to give the game a mechanical flow. A dungeon graph gives information about when backtracking is necessary, when the player has multiple choices of paths, the size of the game (mechanically speaking) and how linear or open ended the game is.

The item photos from the submachine wiki were very useful in making the icons for keys and locks so kudos to the people behind the wiki for making the process easier (otherwise I would have had to screenshot all the items individually from the games myself).
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Hm. If I'm understanding it correctly it seems to be based on pure methodology for solving the games and such. I guess the game threads are ok for that. Post them there and we'll see what everyone else thinks.

Perhaps something like this combined with Montinevra's suggested format for walkthroughs can help us solve the walkthrough problem...
Mr. Trapezoid
lost in subnet

Post by Mr. Trapezoid »

That's right, it is more or less a breakdown of the cogs and wheels behind the game's structure.

Thank you so much, I could also make a new thread on theories and suggestions called Submachine: Dungeon Graphs and post the graphs there, but I think I should start with posting them in the game threads.
CharlesTheCat
lost in subnet

Post by CharlesTheCat »

Heyo!
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Hi! I love the avatar.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Welcome to the forum, Einstein Charles!

What Mateusz game/game series do you like the most? :)
CharlesTheCat
lost in subnet

Post by CharlesTheCat »

Sublevel 108 wrote:Welcome to the forum, Einstein Charles!

What Mateusz game/game series do you like the most? :)
Haha, i already know the cat name in my profile :)

well, idk exactly

But i like a lot the big ones like Sub 10 and universe

And Submachine is my favorite game series created by Mateusz
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Welcome tacentTsigani! You're the first new member of pastelland.net and as a result you're kicking off the 5th generation (by my count) of forum members! Enjoy your time here.